Crawfish Boil Question...

Lounge By Katie-Bug Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm by Joyfull4444

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #1 of 12

Okay, two weeks ago my husband an I went to Louisana for the weekend and brought back fresh crawfish. We poached them an they're waiting for us now in the freezer.

We are planning on boiling them this weekend, but we're missing one thing..the dipping sauce! We ate ours at Crazy Bout Crawfish in Breaux Bridge. Can anyone please share a recipe for the sauce?

Thanks and I so wanna come back down an check everything out...I loved it down there!!

11 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:15am
post #2 of 12

I'm from New Orleans but transplanted to Tucson, now. the basic out of your pantry dipping sauce is as follows:

Ketchup
Worcestershire Sauce
garlic salt
hot sauce to taste
horseradish
dash of Tony's Chacere or other Cajun Spice
a squeeze of lemon

Of course in LA we don't have specific recipes, we add a little bit of that and a dash of the other and it all gets mixed up for a great taste.

Yum Yum.

Dee in AZ

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 12

We do crawfish every Memorial day. We have either cocktail sauce of remoulade sauce to go with ours.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 12

We just went to a crawfish boil last night. I don't ever want shrimp or crawfish again icon_lol.gif . I'm sure I will but not for awhile. It was so good I ate entirely too much.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 12

Hi Katie-Bug

This is not a recipe for crawfish boil, its for Crawfish Chowder with Crawfish Beignets that was recently featured on Pitchin In, a show on the Canadian food network.
Recipe is from chef Lynn Crawford who's pitchin in show features her traveling North America & joining in doing the same work the people she's visiting do for a living.
Each episode ends with her making a meal for the families of whatever food it is they catch or raise. A recent episode was on crawfish. Gathering crawfish, crawfish boils, and cooking with crawfish.

Anyway thought you might be interested in looking this recipe over for a second option of cooking your stash of crawfish.

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Side/Pork/recipe.html?dishID=10671

Heres a couple recipes for crawfish dip you might like too.

http://www.louisianacookin.com/crawfish-dip

This one is from Holly Clegg of the Bayoubuzz

http://www.hollyclegg.com/Recipe.cfm?id=528

have fun!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:30am
post #6 of 12

Weirdly enough. They just had a Crawfish Festival here in Tucson at a Vietnamese Catholic church. They had Louisiana crawfish, but the seasoning wasn't quite right. We ate them anyway, since you never see them in AZ.

Dee

Katie-Bug Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #7 of 12

Thanks for all the information! We cooked one batch last Saturday, still about 8 more to go!

We made about 5 different sauces, the crawfish were good but they were hard to peel. Did we cook them to long or is that just part of it since they have been frozen?

Thanks!!

TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 12

Peeling them takes some work, espeically for such a small thing.

I make a deal with my brother if I play beer fairy he peels my crawfish. icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 12

The larger the crawfish, the harder it is to peel them. It's a tradeoff. size vs peeling.

As for the sauce we use Mayo, hot sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire Sauce and Tony's.

Katie-Bug Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 12

I guess it wasn't that they were hard, but it was that the meat stuck to the shell. Once you peeled the tail, the meat came off with it. Not sure if it was the meat an where we bought them, the freezing them, or the way we cooked them.

TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 12

Ours always go from alive, to purged, to the boil all in one day. We don't usually have issues with the meat sticking to the peel. Any we have left over someone usually peels and then we freeze them like that so they are ready to eat or mix into food instead of having to work for them again.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 12

I'm sure no expert since theres no such thing as crawfish where I am but I have read on the crawfish recipes I've come across that its better to peel before freezing. Don't really know why as unpeeled shrimp is in the freezer section of the fish markets all the time.

Anyway.. Heres a very short how to video I found on peeling crawfish.
Have fun!

http://www.ehow.com/video_2339540_clean-peel-crawfish-tails.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%