Do You Grease/flour The Sides Of Your Pans

Decorating By slsharratt Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 2:40am by kccliff

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:48am
post #1 of 11

or just the bottom? I've been doing the sides, but find that the cake falls away from the sides as it bakes. I guess I could test not doing the sides, but I'm scared....

10 replies
Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #2 of 11

I use a homemade cake release and do grease the sides of my pans. If your cake is pulling away, your sides are getting done before your middle. I use the bake even strips and you can also use a heating core - these really help even out the baking.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:36am
post #3 of 11

I have greased-only-no-flour'd my pans (bottom and sides) for 30 years. With greased sides, the cake batter can easily 'slide' up the sides of the pans, resulting in cakes that rise higher. I was doing a cake demo for a high school class and baked cakes with and without floured pans so I could show them the difference in height.

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:41am
post #4 of 11

i made some "pan grease" from the cake doctor, 1 cup shortening, 1/4 cup flour and madly mix the two together, and thats what i use. so next time i'll try just plain shortening.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:45am
post #5 of 11

Hey Debi, doing it that way (grease/no flour), do you find that the sides and middle rise more evenly, preventing a dome? I've always been a parchment paper on the bottom/grease and flour on the sides, but only because it's how my mom did it. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:58am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

Hey Debi, doing it that way (grease/no flour), do you find that the sides and middle rise more evenly, preventing a dome? I've always been a parchment paper on the bottom/grease and flour on the sides, but only because it's how my mom did it. icon_biggrin.gif

I also use baking strips, so my opinion will be skewed but it's logical. Since the sides can rise faster, they can "keep up" with the center. when the sides are "held back" (because the batter clings to the flour or to the ungreased pan sides) they bake up and set at a lower height.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:00am
post #7 of 11

I grease and flour the whole pan and parchment the bottom. I tried Debi's method of just grease and had stickage on the bottom! Although it did seem like the cakes rose more than with flour. I also felt like the sides of the cake were almost too most from the grease. Perhaps I did something wrong?

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #8 of 11

I've been using Baker's Joy or the Wilton spray with flour included for over 2 years and I love it. I used to grease and flour the sides and bottom, but find the spray so much easier to get in the pans evenly.

I have used parchment in the pan, but only when I was making gluten free cakes. When I use parchment I still grease the bottom and the sides.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:14am
post #9 of 11

I've heard about an "old trick" but have never tried it. It is to fill the pan with batter as usual, but then tilt the pan and coat the sides (up to the top) with the batter. This is supposed to prevent a dome and promote even cooking of sides and middle...but to me, it seems like the batter used to coat the sides (the batter above the rest of the batter...make sense?? LOL) would cook almost immediately causing the upper sides to be overcooked and hard. Anyway, has anyone tried this method?

kccliff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccliff Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #10 of 11

I use wax paper. I hold it roughly in place with some crisco. I cut out the bottom piece ( trace the outside of the pan) then take a longer piece and fold it in half..(run it in the inside edges) I then trim the top. But if I want the cake to rise higher, I make the sides of wax paper higher too. Anything 8 inches or larger I put flower nails in the center upside down. It helps it cook even.

kccliff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccliff Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #11 of 11

I should say, this way with the wax paper keeps my pans looking brand new.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%