You Want To Spend How Much For 200Ppl

Decorating By twistedsplinters Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 3:44am by Sagebrush

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 70

I had this woman just call me wanting a 4 tiered cake to feed 200ppl with turqoise, silver, and black with fondant decorations the works I told her the total of how much it would be and she said what??? lol
Then she proceeds to ask how much for sheetcakes to feed 200ppl decorated the same way and told her the same total and she said what kind of cake can i get for under 150.00 to feed 200ppl (( silence)) I then replied any cake with fondant work on it to feed 200ppl is going to be well over 150.00 she then says well Let me call you back which means Im not ordering lol

69 replies
aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 70

Cake Muggles (sigh).

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsplinters

I had this woman just call me wanting a 4 tiered cake to feed 200ppl with fondant decorations with turqoise, silver, and black with fondant decorations the works I told her the total of how much it would be and she said what??? lol
Then she proceeds to ask how much for sheetcakes to feed 200ppl decorated the same way and told her the same total and she said what kind of cake can i get for under 150.00 to feed 200ppl (( silence)) I then replied any cake with fondant work on it to feed 200ppl is going to be well over 150.00 she then says well Let me call you back which means Im not ordering lol

You should have said "A Costco cake - if you're lucky". icon_biggrin.gif

twistedsplinters Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 70

hahahaha!!! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 70

Twinkies!

Kavrena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavrena Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 70

Or maybe Hostess Cupcakes!!

twistedsplinters Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 70

I like that lol twinkies or hostess hmm I might have to suggest that next time. !!

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 70

Could not resist. I found these pics a while ago. I think these are the perfect cakes for the budget bride ^-^
LL
LL

twistedsplinters Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 70

ha love those im saving those !!!

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 70

icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif - now I am craving a Twinkie!

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 70

Next time someone ask what they can get for less than a dollar a slice, you need to forward those pictures. That is priceless.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 70

Actually, that first one is pretty darn amazing! That being said, those lovely little Hostess yummies are still covering layers of "real" cake. I'd also bet that cake was at least $150.00. I'm willing to say that $75.00 went into the snack cakes alone.

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 70

Loved the cakes!!!! LMAO

RobynLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynLM Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:05pm
post #14 of 70

lol icon_lol.gif those cakes are great!

That's 75c per serving! icon_eek.gif geez.....

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 70

I love those hostess and twinkie cakes! Would be great for a kid's birthday party...

twistedsplinters Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:09pm
post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Actually, that first one is pretty darn amazing! That being said, those lovely little Hostess yummies are still covering layers of "real" cake. I'd also bet that cake was at least $150.00. I'm willing to say that $75.00 went into the snack cakes alone.

I was looking at that the hostess one does have stacked cakes underneath, Funny thing I probably would have someone want it for a party!! Now I want to make it!

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #17 of 70

That is why I saved those pics, too amusing. Glad everyone liked the find. ^-^

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:53pm
post #18 of 70
Quote:

and she said what kind of cake can i get for under 150.00 to feed 200ppl (( silence))

oh my...... icon_rolleyes.gif

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:10pm
post #19 of 70

I know i can always come here for a laugh! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif your replies are awesome! I love that one will assume because you bake at home that you're cheap.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #20 of 70
Quote:

she said what kind of cake can i get for under 150.00 to feed 200ppl

How about pancakes? A few boxes of Bisquik ought to make enough to give 200 people each a bit of "cake."

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:27pm
post #21 of 70

I was gonna say...$150 for a twinkies cake is still pushing it...those little boogers aren't cheap!

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:44am
post #22 of 70

he-he! I just had a couple ask me tonight: "why should I buy your kitchen cakes and not Costco's, what is the difference?" Blerg.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:41am
post #23 of 70

My daughter was just telling me today about a party she went to this past weekend. It was a surprise birthday for a neighbor's wife. Daughter was talking to husband who said he went to buy a cake and "....they wanted $65 for a half sheet!!! icon_surprised.gif " Daughter (god luv her!) said, "Hmmm. That's a pretty good price." Husband replied, "WHAT??????!!!!!!" She said, "Oh yeah! You'd pay way more than that for one of my mom's cakes, which aren't pre-baked with some icing slapped on it."

Daughter said, "Do you even KNOW how big a 1/2 sheet is? That serves about 50 people ..... and you're only having a party for 15! So fo COURSE you're going to spend more than you need if you buy more cake than you need." SHe said she held her arms out as far as she could to illustrate to him that a half sheet was "half of a cake THIS BIG!!!!"

He started comparing it to grocery store cakes. Daughter told him, 'Look, bottom line is you don't know what a half sheet is and you just walked in and asked for one w/o any idea of how many people it served. And by the way, those "half sheet" cakes in the grocery aren't half sheets at all....." and she went on to explain how grocery store bakeries are using 11x15's and calling them half sheets just to keep the selling price down.

He said he was going to buy the stuff and make the cake himself "because I can buy the cake stuff cheaper than $65!" Daughter said, "What about the icing? Can you make that? Do you know how to put on a border? Make flowers? Write happy birthday? Surely you're not going to buy those little candy letters to spell out happy birthday, are you? Man she'll divorce you in a second if you do that to her!" icon_lol.gif

I luv my kid! thumbs_up.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:47am
post #24 of 70

Oh my! Who has a wedding with 200 guest and a $150 cake budget? Seriously? I know some people still live under a rock, but DANG man.....come on now! twinkies are more than $0.75 per serving these days!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:02am
post #25 of 70

These are just sooo funny! I bet the first one is done with dummies as the base, rather than real cake. That is what I would use. By the time the guests got thru the Hostess cakes, they wouldn't be able to eat real cake. I also am going to safe those pics.

My dd years ago (she's 19 now) about how her firends knew I do cakes. And that one day she was going to make a cake using Twinkies standing on end in rows and iced over to take to school for whom ever upset or betrayed her. She didn't do it, but it would come up as an idea, they better watch out or that is what she would do to them. I love my DD icon_rolleyes.gificon_evil.gifthumbs_up.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:24am
post #26 of 70

GOOD GRIEF!!!! icon_eek.gif

Secondly - slightly off topic, for which I apologise, but - can someone tell me what a Twinkie is, please? We don't have them here in the UK. I've *heard* of them, but don't actually know what they are? I'm presuming some sort of cake bar????

Suzanne x

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:23pm
post #27 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

GOOD GRIEF!!!! icon_eek.gif

Secondly - slightly off topic, for which I apologise, but - can someone tell me what a Twinkie is, please? We don't have them here in the UK. I've *heard* of them, but don't actually know what they are? I'm presuming some sort of cake bar????

Suzanne x

You guys are seriously missing out over there in the UK. The twinkie is a cream filled cake bar, filled with carbs and fat! The most important part of the junk food catagory!
LL

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:33pm
post #28 of 70

Thanks!!

Hmmm.... Maybe I'll reserve judgement until I've tasted one. Looks like the sort of thing my boys would like!

I'll see if my aunt or cousins will bring us some to sample, next time they come and visit us in the UK.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:34pm
post #29 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I made a similar cake that was used as a centrepiece for the 11pm buffet. Instead of "real" cake I use styrofoam as the base to attach wafer cookies.

You can often pick up the Twinkies at the Wonder bakery outlet for a huge discount. I have also seen this cake done with fondant covered Twinkies. It was a bit nicer.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:38pm
post #30 of 70

I feel you! Just this weekend I was asked to do a dragon cake (groom's cake), gave her a price per serving for carved cakes. She sent me a sample photo of what she wanted. She then says, "I don't have much money, it would be nice if we could do it for say, $50-$100.

This is the cake she wanted. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif I told her the supplies cost over $100, and I wished her happiness. There's no way I would even entertain the thought, as much as I love doing these kind of cakes.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%