Rosetta Stone

Lounge By Auryn Updated 12 May 2010 , 3:20pm by Auryn

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all
I was wondering if anyone here has used the Rosetta Stone system to learn a language and if you did,
did you like it??
Did it work for you??

I ask because my boyfriend has asked that all he wants for his 30th birthday is the Rosetta stone to learn Italian.
My family is Italian and thats what we speak at home and at work.
We try as hard as we can to only speak english in front of him but sometimes it just slips out.
Hes been wanting to learn since we met 5 years ago and I think he has finally decided to commit to learning.

I'd love to know any input you might have
thanks

10 replies
VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 11

Ive not tried it but my dad was interested in it and looked at their website. You may already know but each language is priced differently, and some of them were pretty high. You may want to go on their website and look at how much the different programs cost before you tell him you will get it for him. Good luck, and what a great guy you have!

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 11

I personally have not used it but good god I want to. I know that TSA uses it for their employees. My brother in law works for an airline and theygave it to him to learn spanish. That was a year ago and he's now considered fluent.

If your boyfriend is dedicated I would say do it. But make sure of his dedication cause that S*it is expensive lol!

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 11

I actually have the Italian version 1 of it, and I really like it. I'm a second generation American and my family spoke Italian when I was younger, but now that I'm older and my Italian-speaking family is deceased I've completely forgotton it. I got it as a gift the christmas before last, and did about half of the course before I opened up my bakery, and haven't had a chance to use it again since last March, and I have to say I've retained a good 90% of what I've learned.

The only thing that you'll find with any language learning program is that it wont teach you cultural uses and phrases like a teacher could, but I think rosetta stone is an excellent way to learn a language. I took french for 5 years and learned next to nothing, (I remember a good 60% of what I learned) and I used the Rosetta stone for 5 months and remembered 90% of it like I said.

Worth the price? I think so.
Besides, you can attend class in your pajamas and not get made fun of.

Jasmine

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 11

my children's school uses Rosetta Stone for all their foreign languages (private school with only 60 kids from K-12)

I'm always amazed at the kids and how they're able to learn Spanish, Italian, German, French.........one girl was planning on going to Africa as a missionary when she graduated high school, and they found one with whatever language was going to be spoken there and she learned it! She wrote back after being there 2 months telling everyone how she had already led nearly 50 people to Christ because she went there knowing THEIR language.........the last missionaries there, were there 5 years before leaving with no converts.

Language is a powerful thing!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 11

Supposed to be great, but at those prices it should be...
http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-italian
Italian Level 1, 2 & 3 Set $539.00

MystiqueFire Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

but you can do it in your pajamas.... at the pool....!

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiqueFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

but you can do it in your pajamas.... at the pool....!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:07am
post #9 of 11

Tobias got me the online German version. His family is in Germany and doesn't speak English. It is $199 for all three levels, for 6 months. You do learn alot, if you are commited to it. I don't have lots of extra time, but I can say basic phrases and understand quite a bit. We renewed it so hopefully I can take more time. I can't wait until I can finally answer the phone when his mom calls icon_smile.gif

MystiqueFire Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:55am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferAtwood

I can't wait until I can finally answer the phone when his mom calls icon_smile.gif

I can't wait for the day I can understand the pizza guy at my favorite pizza shop....

Sometimes she says something and I smile and nod and then wonder what she did to my pizza... =/

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:20pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all for your insight.
I had my boyfriend do the free sample things they have online and he really likes it. Thinks it would work well for him because it seems to be set up kind of like a game.

I think i will go ahead and do this- hopefully I can get his dad to go halfsies on it with me so its not such a hit.
If anyone is interested I will post our opinions once we receive it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%