Newbie Freezing Question! :)

Decorating By millux Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 1:13pm by millux

millux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millux Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 11:49am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I'm supernew & need some help. I'm making a cake & a few cupcakes for my boyfriend's birthday (which is in 3 weeks) & I'd like to make them sometime soon & then freeze them so that they're hidden. Both the cupcakes & main cake will have fondant/sugarpaste on them. Do I wrap them up in cling-film (saran wrap?) & then put them in an airtight container? How long will they last & how exactly do I defrost the cake? Do I leave it overnight still in the airtight box or do I uncover it? Once it has been defrosted, how long do I have before it must be eaten? I'm also worried about the condensation.. especially since I'm such a newbie! Please help, cake superheros! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 5

Hey millux,
I always freeze my cakes before using them anyway. Once the cake is cool from baking I wrap them in wax paper then cling wrap and then freeze. Before Im ready to decorating I will let the cake thaw out in the wax paper and cling film this will help make it moist. You can keep them frozen for a while especially with them being wrapped in wax paper and cling wrap. I wouldnt leave it thawed out for more than a day or two but you should be able to hide something like that very easily. I personally wouldnt worry about the airtight container if you wrap in wax paper and cling wrap.
Goodluck

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 5

I have frozen the cake layers many times. After they are cooled, I wrap the layers in 2-3 layers of plastic wrap and cover with foil; sometimes I even cover that with plastic wrap. icon_biggrin.gif I take them out of the freezer and let thaw while still wrapped. I then torte, fill, ice and decorate as usual. I have never frozen a fully decorated cake though I have read that others have successfully done that.

HTH

katwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwo Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 5

I also asked this question last night (which I do not see here) you can freeze cakes done in MMF by wrapping them in saran wrap then put them in air tight containers , they can be frozed for 2-3 weeks, when you take it out of the freezer, let it thaw in wrapper then take wrappings off after a few hours, then the condensation comes off in the wrappings. It may be a bit tacky to touch, but just let it air dry for a few hours. Then add you additional decorations, Royal Icing or paint.

millux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millux Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much, everyone!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%