So Frustrated With All Buttercream I Desperately Need Help!

Baking By Crabbabs Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 5:11pm by taliascott

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 18

I am making my first big cake this weekend and I am having problems. I made the whimsical bakehouse house buttercream and while the flavor is fine, it leaves a slimy greasy taste in the mouth. I followed the recipe exactly and used hi-ratio shortening. It looks like a typical whipped buttercream. I have tried numerous recipes and I cant find one I love. I know indydebis is popular, but it is a little too sweet for my taste. I am nervous about using an IMBC or SMBC because people either really like it, or hate it. I want to appeal to the most people I can. I am doing very basic decoration (mostly grass tip),
Can anyone recommend a recipe that does not leave a greasy taste in the mouth?
Do you think I may have done something wrong with the WBH buttercream? Is there any way to fix this?
Am I being overly obsessive about this?
Thanks so much for your help you are all great!

17 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #2 of 18

I haven't used the whimsical bakehouse buttercream, but just wondering if you have tried a butter cream that is 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening?

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:02am
post #3 of 18

You can also whip up some ganache. Use white chocolate and candy oils to color, but keep in mind that white chocolate is better for pastel colors. It's hard to get vibrant colors.

taliascott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taliascott Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:09am
post #4 of 18

Have you tried sugarshack's BC??

mla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mla Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:40am
post #5 of 18

I recently tried this one:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2019/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting

IMO, it's a happy medium between the very sweet powdered sugar buttercreams and the buttery meringue ones. I used a petal tip to decorate cupcakes and it worked great (oh, I used all butter instead of shortening). Both kids and adults enjoyed this one.

Good luck!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:22am
post #6 of 18

My personal experience with meringue based buttercreams has been very positive. Eveyone, even people who normally scrape off the icing and just eat the cake, love it. Just make sure you use unsalted butter.

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:32am
post #7 of 18

The Whimsical Bakehouse icing is like no other. It's very unique and doesn't behave or taste like other buttercreams. I would definitely try a few 'more traditional' buttercreams on your search for "The One". Good luck.

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:49am
post #8 of 18

Hi There,
I think if you Pm message "Cakery" she would be willing to share her recipe with you. Before I got her recipe I always scrapped off the icing. But this is the best icing ever. I have a customer that likes it so well that she orders just icing, no cake.And it don't have that greasy taste/feeling.
Tammie

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:54am
post #9 of 18

the BC I use is 1 stick butter, 1/2 cup crisco, 4cups confec. sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 3-4 tbs milk and 1/2-1 pack of dreamwhip depending on how i feel that day. I just recently added the dream whip to the BC, and its made it sooo much better.. I love it.. I get great comments on my BC.. my hubby craves it, so i usually have some in the fridge for him to snack on when he feels the need for some frosting.. ha ha

I've never tried the WBH you are talking of, also never heard of it either.. going to look at it now icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammies_Cakes

Hi There,
I think if you Pm message "Cakery" she would be willing to share her recipe with you. Before I got her recipe I always scrapped off the icing. But this is the best icing ever. I have a customer that likes it so well that she orders just icing, no cake.And it don't have that greasy taste/feeling.
Tammie

Before I PM "Cakery" can you tell me if it is shortening based or butter based. And can you substitute butter for the shortening?
Thanks.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:10pm
post #11 of 18

I also use one of the 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening recipes and just started adding Dream Whip. I whip it up with the wet stuff before I add the sugar. I don't think it's "greasy"

Crabbabs Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 18

Thank you all for your help!

I think I am going to try the whipped cream buttercream first. I also asked Cakery for her recipe. I have not yet tried Sugarshacks because I am a bit nervous based on some reviews of people having issues while trying to make it. I only have a 4.5 quart Kitchen aid. I am planning on making it in the near future. I am just kicking myself for waiting so long to make the icing. I also hate that now I have 10 cups of icing that I dont know what to do with.

Keep the suggestions coming I really appreciate the input. Its like they say, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your (buttercream) prince.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 18

I use WBH and the one thing clients tell me it's not overly sweet and it doesn't leave a greasy taste in their mouth...it's very light. Like you, it took me several recipes to find the one that I even liked. I just don't like using the amount of sugar in some of the recipes.

I also use Alpine hi-ratio shortening. I do plan to try this with sweetex sometime soon to see what difference if any between the two.

Crabbabs Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm
post #14 of 18

I used CK's high-ratio shortening. I wonder if this is the reason I was getting the greasy aftertaste. I like the flavor of the WBH, like you said, it is not too sweet.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #15 of 18

I never use shortening, I only use butter. I use two types of buttercream, SMBC and good old fashioned american buttercream which is just butter, sugar, a little cream/milk, a pinch of salt and vanilla. I really hate the feeling of the shortening, and I despise the fake butter that you often have to add to try to get a better flavor.

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:43pm
post #16 of 18

Before I PM "Cakery" can you tell me if it is shortening based or butter based. And can you substitute butter for the shortening?
Thanks.[/quote]

It's shortening based. but trust me you want be sorry. I have tried numerous recipes and always come back to hers. I'v even had people ask what did you do to your icing it taste different?(not as good they say)
Tammie

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:59pm
post #17 of 18

Not to hijack this thread...but why do some add Dreamwhip to your BC? And if you do, do you prepare it first then put it in, or just add it dry? TIA

taliascott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taliascott Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbabs

I used CK's high-ratio shortening. I wonder if this is the reason I was getting the greasy aftertaste. I like the flavor of the WBH, like you said, it is not too sweet.

I used CK before i tried sweetex because I can buy it at a local shop here but when I tried the Sweetex, it was sooooo much better IMO... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%