Please Do Me A Favor Everyone!!!!

Decorating By Wnt2BACakeStar Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 7:22am by quilting2011

Wnt2BACakeStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wnt2BACakeStar Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:43am
post #1 of 10

Take a look at my cakes and please be brutally honest...let me know if you think I have what it takes to open a cake business. I have been selling my cakes here and there to an array of people. I'm just not sure I have what it takes as a decorator. I would also like to mention that I have no formal training what so ever. If ya'll could do this I would appreciate it billions! Thanks!

9 replies
Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #2 of 10

I think your cakes are really good so I think you have the talent to pull it off. Just remember, there is a lot more to running a business than being able to decorate cakes. Knowing and understanding the legal side, financial side, etc is a big part of it as well. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it.....just do your research.

You'll never work harder than when you work for yourself. (That's why I work for corporate america.) icon_lol.gif

Good Luck to you!

GeordieMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeordieMum Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 10

I think your cakes look fantastic! You definitely have a talent.

Good luck with your future business endeavors!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 10

Your cakes are great. But there is a lot more to it as stated above. How many hours a week are you willing to work because it will be a lot more then 40 hours if you want to make it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:34am
post #5 of 10

Your Mario cake is amazing!!!! GREAT job! You can use just a bit of work on your buttercream but everybody has stuff to work on...and I think your work is more than good enough to start a business!!!! I've seen bakeries that can't decorate as good as you can.

Good luck! As someone above said, just do your homework when you open up shop. thumbs_up.gif

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #6 of 10

Yes, I would say your cake decorating skills are more than sufficient to draw customers to you. If you can add in business acumen as well, I think you'll do great!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:00am
post #7 of 10

Still one of the best posts/threads on this subject:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-50352.html

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:38am
post #8 of 10

Are you fast? You can't be profitable with a storefront if you spend forever and a day to make one cake. For example, if you were to take your portfolio in to a bakery to apply for a job decorating cakes, they usually don't want to see pictures of what you can do at home on your own time. Instead, they want to know how much you can produce for them, or in this case, how much can you produce for yourself to earn a profit. Before opening your own business, I'd suggest working for another to better learn more about what is required to keep up with the pace and refine your skills while learning all the tricks and techniques of the trade. You'll never regret the experience you'll gain, and it's better getting paid to learn rather than paying to take classes. Good luck to you.

Wnt2BACakeStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wnt2BACakeStar Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:59am
post #9 of 10

Thank you to everyone for all your comments I really do appreciate them! You have all given me alot to think on and the thread post by PieceofCakeAz is awesome. Believe me I know the work that goes in to owning and running a small business. I would never even consider it unless I was well prepared.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:22am
post #10 of 10

Love your cake with the butterfly. I would buy cake for you for my kids.

Keep up the good work. Very unique style.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%