Help, My Bc Icing Is Gritty For The First Time Ever.

Baking By drowninginfondant Updated 15 May 2010 , 4:21am by allissweets

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 4

I normally only use 2lbs of PS instead of 2.5. I made 3 batches the first two batches that I used 2.5 are gritty and the 3rd batch that I only used 2lbs isn't. Can anyone suggest how I can fix the 2 batches by adding extra water, shortening, etc?
TIA

3 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:09am
post #2 of 4

You could add a 1/4 of the other ingredients you usually use back to that batch and it should work out right if my math is correct... but it's 2am here and I've been baking, decorating, and have been at a softball game so don't hold me to that math LOL

allissweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allissweets Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:13am
post #3 of 4

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I've just had the same thing occur - gritty BC icing. I've been decorating cakes for 5 years and have never had this happen. All new/fresh ingredients, just can't figure out why my icing is gritty!!!

Can anyone offer suggestions? Thanks!

allissweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allissweets Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:21am
post #4 of 4

Well after reading several posts on here I suspect it is the PS I used. I bought two new bags, and tried two batches of BC icing (one with each bag) and BOTH came out gritty. This is the Sam's Club PS that I've been using for years. I've found it to be better than Domino's, but I guess I had to get my hands on a bad batch eventually. Oh well, good thing this cake is for my son's birthday - I'm not making a third batch, and it still tastes good, so we'll just have to stick with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%