Need Help Asap!!!!!

Decorating By CaKKes Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 7:47am by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

CaKKes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaKKes Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 10

I am doing a topsy turvy cake and have now tried three times to cover it with fondant. Everytime I put it on it starts tearing!! What am I doing wrong? I have covered cakes in fondant before and have never had this problem. PLEASE HELP!!!

9 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 10

Is the fondant too thin?

Take a breath, go have a glass of wine (makes for the best decorating! icon_biggrin.gif) and start again.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 10

What kind of fondant are you using? Also, you may need to let your fondant "rest" for a while. I've found that when that happens to me, the more you work it, the less it cooperates LOL

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

What kind of fondant are you using? Also, you may need to let your fondant "rest" for a while. I've found that when that happens to me, the more you work it, the less it cooperates LOL

I agree.... sometime u just need to re knead... re wrap and let it rest... then start over...
is it MMF?
SI?
Wilton?

good luck...

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 10

I believe we could offer better assistance to you if we knew what type or brand of fondant you are working with. It truely does make a difference.

CaKKes Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 10

I am usin Satin Ice....I have read about bad batches but I used ths batch just lat week for wedding cakes and did nothave any problems. I am so frustrated!!!

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 10

You should read the thread on here about cussing in the kitchen! icon_lol.gif I know you're frustrated, but it really does help to know you're not alone!!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 10

Okay if it's satin ice...... then you have probably worked it too much. This happens to me when I put a lot of color in it. I have had Ivory do that... I tried everything to get it to work, but it kept tearing... not sure if it was a bad batch or if they just don't have that color right. Most of the time, if you get a bad batch of satin ice, it does the elephant skin thing.

CaKKes Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 10

got it covered...thanks for everyone's help!!! I just needed to walk awa from it for a while. I think it got overworked! I am just a newbie and it is nice to know that I have somewhere to go to get help/advice.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:47am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaKKes

got it covered...thanks for everyone's help!!! I just needed to walk awa from it for a while. I think it got overworked! I am just a newbie and it is nice to know that I have somewhere to go to get help/advice.

No prob! It's hard to walk away sometimes..... especially if you have the "I'm not gonna let this beat me" attitude I have! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%