Help-Baking In Terra Cotta Pots????

Decorating By dweddings Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 12:58pm by jayne1873

dweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dweddings Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:49am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know if you can bake in a terra cotta flower pot. I want to make a mini flower pot and I thought the T.C. pot would be great.But is it safe to bake a food product in. Need to do for this weekend so Help

5 replies
Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 11:05am
post #2 of 6

I tried it once. I took care to prepare the pot for baking, but the cake tasted like crap. thumbsdown.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 11:43am
post #3 of 6

Try googling it, I did, and here's what I found.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5811536_bake-terra-cotta-flower-pots.html

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 11:48am
post #4 of 6

I've done it a few times.

Obviously I used a brand new pot - and thoroughly washed it.

There was a hole in the bottom of the pot, so I firstly put a disc of foil at the bottom. I then completely lined the pot with baking parchment and another disc of baking parchment at the bottom of the pot.

It came out absolutely fine! icon_biggrin.gif

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 6

I used terra cotta pots a few years ago for baked Christmas puddings. Worked like a charm. I used shortening to grease them well, after a couple of uses the terra cotta had absorbed enough shortening I didn't need to use it anymore (I made 80 for a Christmas sale). I used the 6" ones and dropped a basket type coffee filter in the bottom, it stopped the pudding(cake-like) from sticking to the bottom and sealed off the hole but I had to take the pudding out of the pot while it was still hot and remove the filter or it stuck a bit when it was cold.
Terra cotta is fired at approx. 2167⁰F - 1165⁰C so impurities in the clay is burned off during the long firing time and high heat. If you're still paranoid about this look for the pots with the glazed insides.

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 6

I have done it as well and it turned out fine. Lined the pot and cooked at a lower than normal temp to make sure cake cooked all the way through

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%