Shoebox Cake-- Panels Or All One Piece?

Decorating By makeminepink Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 1:38pm by makeminepink

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:34am
post #1 of 6

I've watched a video from pinkcakebox, but I wondered for those of you who have done these cakes--- did you do panels or one piece and trim the corners?-- and is it fondant or did you use fondant with tylose? Did you have a problem with sagging? I haven't done one yet, but am trying to work out the kinks in my head before I start! Thanks in advance for all the help!

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:46am
post #2 of 6

I've never done a shoebox, but I did a shirt box once and I used panels, not because that's necessarily the way to go, but because I wanted to experiment. I imagine you could do it either way. I used fondant with CMC (tylose) and let the panels dry flat before attaching them to the cake. I'd be glad to hear some more opinions on this, too. Would anybody who has done this care to offer their techniques?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:48am
post #3 of 6

I use fondant (no tylose) and cover the cake. No panels. I did panels on my gift bag cake though.

makeminepink Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 11:50am
post #4 of 6

ladyonzlake--- no issues at all with sagging? Your boxes are great!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 6

Nope. No sagging. Your fondant will adhear to your buttercream.

makeminepink Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 6

Just a few more questions. So you just laid the piece of fondant over the cake or lid and trimmed the corners so there's a seam, correct? Your lid is just a thin layer of cake, on a board-- done the same and propped up on top of the other cake? And the tissue-- I wasn't going to do it, but like the look. Do you just make those layers and let them dry before you put them on? Sorry for so many questions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%