Hsn And The Cricut Cake

Decorating By brooklyncaillouet Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 2:26pm by ctinaw

brooklyncaillouet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooklyncaillouet Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:33am
post #1 of 16

I was reading the reviews on the Cricut Cake on HSN and found them to be very interesting. People who actually got the machine and tried it were not pleased at all. Many said they were sending it back.This is the same story on the Cricut message board. Several of the 5 star ratings had not even received the machine yet but were saying what a wonderful machine it was. Their reviews sounded like a commercial from Provo Craft. People who are not happy with their machine need to read the information here at CC. It was here that using a cricut for cake decorating was first introduced.

15 replies
ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 16

Hi there - I'm one of those that hasn't had a lot of luck with my CC yet. I'm still not totally ready to give up yet because I think it has great potential - if I can just figure out what it takes to get a nice clean cut - and THEN to be able to move it without destroying it :/ neither of which I've really accomplished yet.

Please share where this information might be stored - I did come searching for it icon_smile.gif Most of those at the cricut boards are nice but don't really have any more information to share than I do so we are kind of banging our heads.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 16

ctinaw, what product are you trying to cut and how are you preparing it?

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 16

I tried MMF with no success. MMF w/tylose was better, but even after sitting a little while, was too soft to move. Today I used Wilton straight from the package- it cut well, and I could lift it immediately. I hope to try Carrie Biggers' recipe (similar to MFF), but won't have time for a few days- gotta do cookie bouquets!

I want to keep trying for the 27 days I have left! I would like to think this tool will be a good one in the toolbox! My goal is a damask-style cake!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 16

That's what I want to do is a damask style cake.I don't know were to get a pattern to make a stencil. A Bride wanted a damask cake for July so I told her if she would buy the stencil I would do it for her so she is. It kills me the price they want for a piece of plastic just because it has to do with cake decorating I've found bits amd pieces of the damask pattern but not enough to do the whole thing. Each piece was like 2.25 that's a far cry from the 59.00 they want for the real deal.

debster Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 16

I'm finding that the gumpaste needs to be VERY thin and sat out for like 15 min or so. That's been the trick for me.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 16

I too was having the same problem as all of you.
If you roll out your fondant (with Tylose) pretty thin and place on the mat, take your roller and roll over the fondant while on the mat. It makes it adhere really well. Since I have been doing that I have had no problems at all. I am working on a carousel cake and i cut out my horses with the cricut cake with no problem. I even played with my machine and the scal program last night and had no problems. so just keep trying, you will get it.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 16

I have gone back and forth on whether to spend the money for the machine (in addition to all the bad press it has received). Definitely interested in everyones comments.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 16

Linda McClure's Wedding DVD comes with over 60 (yes 60) cricut patterns. Most of them scrolls and damask. You will need Make The Cut or SCAL to use them but they are very good.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 16

Has anyone had success with cutting out stencils on the culinary grade stencil material?

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 16

i have to say that i have not been very impressed with it so far. i bought it to do small intricate patterns but have not had much luck but as someone else said i will keep at it

ctinaw Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 16

Hi Tiggy - I'm using Edna's recipe for MMF. Seems like some MMF's are working and some aren't. People seem to be having better luck with Wilton more than any other brand so I may try some wilton tonight. I don't have any tylose powder to try but I have some on it's way. I might also buy some wilton gum paste to experiment with tonight.

ctinaw Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I'm finding that the gumpaste needs to be VERY thin and sat out for like 15 min or so. That's been the trick for me.

How thin is thin? Another who was having success said she was using about "nickel" thickness.

debster Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:54pm
post #14 of 16

IT's thin enough to see through almost I was shocked where I got mine to finally cut then Linda sent me a piece of hers so I can see the thickness (nice Lady I might add) And hers was still half as thin as mine. I'll take a picture later and show you all.

brooklyncaillouet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooklyncaillouet Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:01pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

I tried MMF with no success. MMF w/tylose was better, but even after sitting a little while, was too soft to move. Today I used Wilton straight from the package- it cut well, and I could lift it immediately. I hope to try Carrie Biggers' recipe (similar to MFF), but won't have time for a few days- gotta do cookie bouquets!

I want to keep trying for the 27 days I have left! I would like to think this tool will be a good one in the toolbox! My goal is a damask-style cake!

I had emailed Linda asking for her recipe for gum paste. She could not "give" it to me because they sell the gum paste (I bought some and it worked perfectly for me) but told me where I could find her recipe. On the cricut MB there is a post about Carries gum paste. Carrie had asked Linda for her recipe last year and Linda sent it to her in an email. That is the recipe Carrie is sharing as her own on the cricut board. Carrie is the darling of the Cricut Cake, but had nothing to do with the development of this method. If you are having any problems just ask Linda. She has answered my questions and I get great results everytime now.

ctinaw Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 16

I tried Wilton fondant last night and it worked perfectly fine! I cut out a "Happy Birthday" at 2.5" to really test it. I smoothed it down to about a nickel's thickness - smoothed over it with a fondant smoother and let it sit about 15 or 20 minutes - then cut it. High speed, medium pressure seemed to work best. Haven't tried gum paste yet.

EDIT: to add it was movable too - didn't want to break and stretch like the MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%