Ganache Has Saved My Sanity!!

Decorating By anasazi17 Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 3:10am by 3LittleBeesCookies

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:57am
post #1 of 16

I just have to publicly announce that I love using ganache under fondant. I have been researching (obsessing) about how to get my cakes looking more "sharp". I knew about ganache, I just thought it would be so much harder & more complex. So.... I did a little investigating here on CC and on Rylan's website (totally gorgeous site by the way, I l-o-v-e it!!)....then I experimented...then HOLY COW I got the sharp corners I have been dreaming about icon_wink.gif

Seriously; it was much easier (to me) and the taste was wonderful...(I added a bit of raspberry extract to the dark chocolate!!)

Yippee! Now I can obsess about something else...maybe my abs, naaa now on to the Agbay!

15 replies
Bella-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella-cakes Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:03am
post #2 of 16

I agree with you 100%!!!! Love Rylan's site too, it's so Great!!! thumbs_up.gif

mamaof3cutiez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3cutiez Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 16

I would love to try this for crisp edges. what recipe did you use for your ganache? if you don't mind sharing? icon_smile.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:29am
post #4 of 16

With ganache, are you spreading it on immediately or letting it sit for a while at room temp. so it's thicker for spreading?

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:35am
post #5 of 16

This is Rylan's site: http://www.artandappetite.com he has a posting about ganache..just scroll down icon_smile.gif It is totally easy!

vita752001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vita752001 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #6 of 16

I just tried it today, white chocolate ganache. It's delicious!!! I used the 3:1 ratio. It's very thick, I didn't even put it in the fridge, it was thicken very fast. I used it for cupcakes, it's pretty solid and dry to the touch but soft when you bit it. I think the ganache is too thick, you have to work fast before it becomes too cold and hard to spread. Not sure it has something to do with the weather or not, it's pretty cold here, like winter.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:51am
post #7 of 16

Love ganache, you can also whip it up for a frosting like consistancy

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Love ganache, you can also whip it up for a frosting like consistancy

Ok. So, frost with the whipped ganache and then you cover in fondant? I want to try this, but don't want to make a mess. icon_smile.gif

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 16

I'm *SO* glad you posted this - I actually planned on using Rylan's recipe tonight for my hubby's b-day cake! So I'm glad to see you got good results!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 16

LOVE ganache under fondant! I hate making white ganache though so I'm leaning toward making more chocolate cakes, oh darn icon_smile.gif

RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 16

I need an excuse to make a cake just so I can try this! Ok, so I don't really need an excuse... =o)

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:27pm
post #12 of 16

I need to try ganache as soon as possible! icon_biggrin.gif

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:59pm
post #13 of 16

I LOOOVVVVVEEEEE using ganache!!! Rylans advice is mainly what got me to that point. I actually try and persuade my clients to use it and make a flavor choice that it will go with... lol. That way I dont even have to mess with BC! Horrible I know but BC has just been giving me so much trouble here lately I want to just scream!!!

hilberry1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilberry1 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:24am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita752001

I used the 3:1 ratio. It's very thick, I didn't even put it in the fridge, it was thicken very fast. I used it for cupcakes, it's pretty solid and dry to the touch but soft when you bit it. I think the ganache is too thick...

Isn't it a 2:1 ratio? Maybe that's why it was so thick?

hilberry1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilberry1 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:27am
post #15 of 16

Nevermind... Just read through it again!

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:10am
post #16 of 16

I never got an answer...I'm guessing it's used after it sets up. Night, night.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%