How On Earth Do I Go About Stacking & Supporting This Ca

Decorating By jhutch04 Updated 14 May 2010 , 1:17am by Kima920

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 9

A bride wants this structure for her wedding on may 30th. instead of this specific design she wants it baseball theme. obviously i would make the ball into a baseball. But i have never done anything like this. How would i go about supporting the top tier. i thought I would make the ball out of either rice krispie treat and then cover in poured fondant (another first for me) and then put a dowel rod through it but as far as stacking the top tier i am clueless. Please help!!
[/img]
LL

8 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:23am
post #2 of 9

option 1 -- the top tier is a foam dummy -- light enough to not dent the cake

option 2 - there is a square plate of plastic or similar on the top of the second tier that is supported by dowels or similar and the top tier is balanced on that so as to not sink into the second tier. In this case, wouldn't be at all surprised if dowel through ball actually started inside stop tier, going through its board and then down in to rest of cake to help hold it in place.

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:40am
post #3 of 9

So if the top tier is real how do you keep it from sliding?

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2cakes2

So if the top tier is real how do you keep it from sliding?

Ask the topsy turvy creators!

Can you use RI to glue the cake to it's cake circle?

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 9

I have no idea if this is the "proper" way to do it but I would make the ball out of styrofoam, run a dowel straight down thru the ball and bottom cake then tilt the top tier and run a dowel sideways thru the top tier and the ball. I don't know how sturdy it would be but its a thought. I hope you post a photo and explain how you did it when it is done! Good Luck!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 9

Looks like they dowel the top twice - and then if you look at the ball it is not completely center and it is doweled as well. icon_rolleyes.gif interesting concept.

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all for your tips and ideas on how to support that last cake. Well this same bride wants a second wedding cake as well. This one's a doozy!!! Please help. I think I shouldn't have a problem building the cake, I use the SPS method (I think that's what they are called) and then just do it in reverse (hope that will work) but as far as supporting the bottom tier, I'm kinda clueless. I was thinking of maybe supergluing the bottom cake cardboard to a more stable, larger cake board, but not sure if that will work! Please help ASAP because I need to start ordering everything because the wedding is on May 30th. Thanks!
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 May 2010 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 9

you are not the first to be asked to make this one.

see this old thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-580918-support.html

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:17am
post #9 of 9

I am interested in how this cake is made as well. I saw the other thread about how it is done, but I still have a question about stacking. How are the black supports not making indentations into the top tier because I know the SPS system the plates on top of the cakes are you doing the same thing?? And then what goes on the bottom of the bottom tier to keep it from getting smushed??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%