Very, Very Discouraged!!!

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 4:54pm by tiggerjo

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 29

Vent time. Been doing this for a year now, need alot of practice but compared to any cakes I've seen around this area, I do a good job. To get
the practice, I have been making a cake a week and sending it to work with the hubby. Of course, the co-workers ooh and aah. I have gotten one order and was asked at 3 pm if I could do a b-day cake for the next morning. Sure I'll try. Took me 3 3/4 hours but got it done. 13X9 w/ bc,
fondant sparkle dust brushed ribbon that I punched design into. Fondant flowers & leaves. BC was not totally smooth but not bad. Was kinda proud of it. Hubby came home with a thank-you envelope w/ 20.00 in it!!!
He asked me how much and I said 35. since I was not totally happy with the frosting. They never asked, just paid. Now I get a note with another order and a 20.00 check. I don't think so. Am i wrong?????

28 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 29

This is the problem with sending practice cakes to spouses work..All of a sudden people want a cake for cheap and when they find out that so and so paid you $20.00 and you accepted it...Then I guess all your cakes are $20.00..I would stop sending cakes right away and tell hubby that you will determine how much the cake is worth not the customer.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 29

always, always, always name your price when you take the order. Otherwise, you get what you asked for- nothing.

I am assuming you are able to sell cakes out of your home though....icon_wink.gif

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 29

Trying to figure out what you said...

So, you told them the (discounted, because the frosting was not up to your standards) price was $35, and they paid you only $20? Is that correct?

If that's the case, then I would absolutely not be making them another one until 1) they give you the rest of the $ they owe you for the first one (and for the record, you should have charged them a rush fee for such a last minute order, and I don't think you should've reduced the cost for the lesser frosting job, as that was also a result of the last minute rush); and 2) absolutely not for their dictated price of $20. You set the prices for your cakes, not your customers. From now on, do not hand over the cake until you have the entirety of the price in hand... either with a CLEARED check or cash.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 29

You need to put a stop to it now! Tell hubby all future orders need to be made through you..........not him.

tiggerjo Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 29

sagebrush....no, I never had the opportunity to tell them anything. Neither did the hubby. I simply told the hubby 35.00 because of the detail work. His boss simply put the money in the envelope with my name on it. We live in a small town and she just usually goes to the grocery store for their cakes. I'm sure they are at least 20.00. thanks everybody for listening and the advice.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 29

Well you'll have to let this one go for now but I'd tell hubby to say, next time, "Why don't you call my wife and talk about the details and pricing with her."

That way he stays out of trouble and that way you can name your price.

Bluebelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebelles Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 29

I would be really careful how you handle this situation, since it is his boss. You never want to peeve the boss off. Maybe do this last one for twenty, and tell him the next cake will cost $35.00.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 29

tiggerjo,

try writing the price on the top of the cake box when you send the cake in. Or when the ask for the cake, say ok one that size will be $35, which is very reasonable. You aren't exactly in the land of the cheap up there.

Since you already excepted the $20 you might want to start raising the price by $5 at a time, Just say yeah the grocery stores just keeps raising their prices.

BTW: Here a sheet at the grocery is going any where from $20 to $30 for looks to be a 11x15 about 1 to 1 1/2 inches high

I'm over by Albany

tiggerjo Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 29

A DECORATED CAKE AROUND HERE IS CANDLES AND MAYBE SOME SPRINKLES OR PLASTIC CRAP DECORATIONS. I DID THE POPCORN CAKE AND THEY WENT CRAZY...CHEESEBURGER AND FRIES REALLY BLEW THEIR MINDS. I HAVE TO SUCK IT UP THIS TIME BUT NO MORE CHEAPOS!!!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 29

So, what you really need to do is have a client consultation (can be on the phone) wherein you get all the details you need AND pass on the information you need to before you agree to make a cake. If you need an excuse for charging a reasonable price now, just tell them you finally got around to pricing your materials, and now you know that you can't do that size of cake for less than $$ w/o losing money. And I would recommend getting payment BEFORE you start making the cake.

Shermie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shermie1 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #12 of 29

Maybe do a pricing sheet and send to work with hubby to post on bulletin board or give it to "certain" people for future reference. And your number so they can call you direct.

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:00pm
post #13 of 29

Whew! I don't know how much it takes you to make a cake but normally for me it's over $20... did you lose money there? I agree, you should let your hubby know if anyone else wants a cake he needs to just hand over your number and have them call you for details and pricing. I get tons of orders from my hubbys work and although he may stand over me to make sure I'm not screwing anything up he doesn't take my orders for me.

tiggerjo Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 29

boy, do I ever feel dumb now. the real story comes out....hubby told the boss that I was was not expecting pay. That is why she put the 20. in the sealed envelope to at least pay for the ingredients. turns out that that cake was for the girl who ordered one and gave me the 20. ahead of time for her husband's b-day cake. she asked and they said that there was no charge for "John's co-workers". So, i guess if they think the cake is free then as far as they know or think 20. is quite generous for a cake mix for 1.39 and a can of frosting for 1.69. they must think i got a great tip. icon_rolleyes.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 29

You need to have a serious talk with hubby!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #16 of 29

When I was first taking the courses, I was sending my cakes to my DH's work, or taking them to my kids' school for the teachers. For the end of Course 2 (Wilton's of course), I sent my cake with DH again. One of his co-workers said she'd buy it, since she needed a cake for her DD's b'day that weekend. So, he told her $20. It appreciated that she loved the cake, but I told him next time to let ME decide the price (since it would have been at least $35 because of all of the handmade flowers).

Oh, and he lent her my cake carrier - which I needed that weekend! So, I had to take that $20 and buy another round carrier. icon_mad.gif

Now, if anyone at his work asks, he has them call me, or gets me to call them. He knows the value of a cake now ... and that I set the prices, not him! icon_wink.gif

tiggerjo Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:54pm
post #17 of 29

ya know, he is the one that is always at me when I decide to quit. "you can do it, you should open a little shop, think of the money you could be making, everybody thinks you are so talented" with him as a mana ger, I would end up on public assistance. LOL

tiggerjo Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:03pm
post #18 of 29

Cutiepie cakes...I now buy a carrier from walmart at 4.97 and add that to the price of the cake. They think they got an extra little freebie and I don't worry about a cake base or getting the carrier back.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:36am
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerjo

Cutiepie cakes...I now buy a carrier from walmart at 4.97 and add that to the price of the cake. They think they got an extra little freebie and I don't worry about a cake base or getting the carrier back.

Walmart also sell cake boxes for $2.00 with their Wilton products. That way you don't have to buy more expensive plastic ones.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:39am
post #20 of 29

I'd have a talk with my husband. Glad to know the "rest of the story". icon_lol.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:44pm
post #21 of 29

Make up some pricing sheets to give to hubby. Next time somebody at work orders a cake he needs to hand them a sheet.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 10:04pm
post #22 of 29

Always tell them a price up front. Stick to it. If they want super cheap, they will go to the grocery store...

Jen icon_smile.gif

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 5:17am
post #23 of 29

WE have a different problem. I always price cakes higher than wife. I stand back and see all the work that goes into making an edible piece of art and she just keeps working on them till she thinks they are perfect,and has no idea how much time she has invested in it.
on average I can get an extra 25 or 50 cents a serving than she quotes !!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:17am
post #24 of 29

Part of the problem is you are "making a cake a week" and sending it in. You've got them trained to expect free cake. Why pay for it .... they get it free every week. And silly as this sounds, in the back of their minds they tend to start thinking, "Oh john's wife makes cakes for fun! it's something she likes to do!" ergo justifying their lack of payment expectation because gosh darn gee you do this for FUN!

Pass your freebies around a bit. Battered Women's shelters, Firestations, your local Chamber of Commerce office (your call on this one ... dont' know if you're licensed or not and we wouldnt' want a Chamber member baker getting all peeved or something! ). The folks at banks love getting cake.

tiggerjo Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:58am
post #25 of 29

thanks to all for the advice. I guess some of it is my own fault with the freebies. good idea to spread them around.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:38pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Pass your freebies around a bit. Battered Women's shelters, Firestations, your local Chamber of Commerce office... The folks at banks love getting cake.

I have a question I've been curious about for a long time. Do people actually eat the cake brought in by a stranger? I know I would never, unless it was coming from a licensed business that I knew about. Maybe I am just way too suspicious and think about all the 'what ifs'. I had a friend that worked for the post office and she said in their training they were taught to never eat goodies given to them by customers. I suppose if you are in a small town and most people know each other, it is less of an issue?

I'm not saying anything negative about anyone on here, please don't think that. This is a legitimate question I've had for a while now. My thought is just that someone may bring her cake to a shelter/firehouse, they would accept it to be nice, then turn around and dump it in the trash when she walks out the door, or they would just say no thank you and she made a trip for nothing. I suppose you could call first to see if they will take it.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:11pm
post #27 of 29

That's a reasonable question barbaranne! I live in a town of about 500 people, so if I drop something off anywhere, it's going to get eaten, but there aren't many places to take it. When I drop things off in 'the bigger city' I make sure to put my biz sticker on the package with all my contact info for two reasons. 1.) So they know how/where to get more when they love it and want to buy some, and 2.) So it doesn't go directly in the trash. In these times, it's really a toss up as to what people would do with it if they don't know you. I tend to take my freebies to places that know me. Even in the big city I take them to people I have previous relationships with. Take them to the place I get my oil changed, hair cut, my dentists office, etc. They all at least know me well enough to know there are no razors in it!! icon_rolleyes.gif And those lovely people like cake too! And then, the next time they need one... you got it!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

That's a reasonable question barbaranne!

agree. Maybe give some places a call to see if they will accept them.

Isn't there some kind of Cakes for Kids program that some CC'ers do? Who has info on that? Maybe that could be an option?

tiggerjo Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:54pm
post #29 of 29

I work on an Army Base and know a few of the firemen. What betterplace to take them. Soldier's are always looking for a little "mom"
cooking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%