Price Per Serving On Tiered Cakes Versus Single Tier Cake...

Decorating By Tracyj Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 12:49am by indydebi

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 11

Do you price them differently? Since I don't have to stack it seems like it should be cheaper. But I've seen alot of people charge the same price per serving for those.

10 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 11

Same cake servings? Same 4" tall cake? What's the difference if it sets a bit higher on the table? I would price it the same. Afterall, you are still getting same amount of servings.... icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 11

I charge the same, doesnt' matter to me whether they want one tier or mutliple. I have materials for doweling in my price, so if they only want one tier then it's more money in my pocket.

Getting into multiple prices for multiple things can get confusing to customers. most just want one price and know that it gets them what they want.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 11

No I did not charge extra for tiered as opposed to non-tiered. The cost of the wooden dowels was insignificant AND was built into the cost of the cake. (I'm not deducting 50 cents just because I didnt' dowel it.) If you use SPS, then as leah suggests, add the cost of the SPS system onto the cake. If it's not stacked and they don't use SPS, then you don't add an add'l charge for it.

Keep it simple for the client and it works best for both of you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 11

ditto. Cake is priced per serving. If you need the SPS and a drum for the bottom, then I charge an "equipment fee."

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 11

I was wondering the same thing. At the moment I have separate pricing for the two. My per serving price is $3 for BC and $4 for fondant. If my 8" single tier was priced per serving it would be $72 verses $45 just for buttercream. Its seems like alot for buttercream.

indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreme

Its seems like alot for buttercream.

compared to .....? icon_confused.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. At the moment I have separate pricing for the two. My per serving price is $3 for BC and $4 for fondant. If my 8" single tier was priced per serving it would be $72 verses $45 just for buttercream. Its seems like alot for buttercream.

I am confused by this statement.

I do have a different price for buttercream iced cakes versus fondant (because I just cover a buttercream iced cake with fondant, so I have more cost and time in it).

But I don't have a different per serving price for single tier vs. stacked tiers. Doesn't matter if they are buttercream or fondant, my per serving price is based on the icing, not if the tiers are stacked.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 11

I must be the only one who charges a little more for tiered cakes. I use cake boards and bubble straws in them and they aren't free.

The customer doesn't have to figure it out though. They call, tell me what they want, and I tell them the cost. The figuring is left up to me.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 11

Sorry, I mean that for celebration cakes (single tier) my 8" would be $45. If part of a tiered cake then it's $72. All of this is for buttercream. If fondant then its $55 (single) and $96 (tiered).

The only reason I charge differently is because I'm including two cake flavors of their choice, two fillings, any piping, ribbon, as well as the boards, support, etc.

I'm still new to this myself. It was easier for me to price this way, so I went with it.

Still learning.

indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:49am
post #11 of 11
Quote:

Sorry, I mean that for celebration cakes (single tier) my 8" would be $45. If part of a tiered cake then it's $72. All of this is for buttercream. If fondant then its $55 (single) and $96 (tiered).

The only reason I charge differently is because I'm including two cake flavors of their choice, two fillings, any piping, ribbon, as well as the boards, support, etc.

I'm still new to this myself. It was easier for me to price this way, so I went with it.

Still learning.

If my bride had a 5 tier cake with 5 different flavors, I never charged extra for that. 5 fillings? No extra charge. Piping? That's part of the decoration .... no extra charge. Ribbon? I actually did a blog entry describing a local bakery who charged 65 cents a serving to wrap a ribbon around the cake ... and the bride had to provide the ribbon. (to me, wrapping a ribbon is WAY faster ... read "labor cost savings" ..... than piping a border so why would I charge extra for it? icon_confused.gif .) All cakes sit on a board so I'm not sure how that's an extra expense.

As a customer, I'm not sure you could explain to me how 4 supports inside a cake to make it a tiered cake is worth $27. icon_confused.gif

YOu gotta do what works for you ..... I'm just sharing what worked for me and an observation from a customer point of view.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%