Softening The Hue Of Blue Satin Ice?

Decorating By scWMI Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm by kaat

scWMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scWMI Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:46am
post #1 of 6

OK - I have 5 pounds of Satin Ice - the pre-colored in blue. It's a little bright/dark for me and I want to try to soften it up. (Hopefully this is making sense.) It's going on dummy cakes for a cake show, so will exposure to sunlight fade the color a little? Or can I do something to tone it down a bit? Add another color?

Thanks!

Chris

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 6

The colored Satin Ice fondants are super-saturated so that you can custom-blend your shade by kneading the colored fondant with the white fondant.

scWMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scWMI Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:53am
post #3 of 6

so what would be the easiest way to get a wedgewood blue shade or something close to it?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:10am
post #4 of 6

Rather than adding to the blue, add VERY small amounts of blue to white until you get the shade you're looking for. I don't know if you'll get a Wedgwood blue, but you can get a pretty pale blue by just adding a smidge to white fondant.

If you need a lot of the same color, weigh your blob of white, then weigh it again after you've added the amount of blue you want. Multiply to make a big batch.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 6

If you look in my pix, Bella's purse cake, the dark is the straight Satin Ice blue fondant. It does fade some as it dries. The medium and light shades are the same fondant with white added (tone on tone they call this.)

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 6

The shop where I buy my Satin Ice has a take home color mixing chart. They don't have the exact same chart on their site but it is similar.
http://www.rolledfondant.com/color.htm
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%