Feedback On Fondarific

Decorating By crumbcake Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 8:47pm by tigerhawk83

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:28am
post #1 of 20

Has anyone tried the new fondant....fondarific, it has buttercream and new fruit flavors. Does it tast good, and is it easy to work with? Would like to order some.

19 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:49am
post #2 of 20

They aren't new...been around for years. It is the best tasting and most forgiving fondant you will use. It is a bit more pricey but you can roll it so much thinner so you get more coverage out of it than it's counterparts. It will never really harden so it is best to use to cover the cake and make cut outs that lay directly on the cake, but not great for flowers, bows, shapes on wires, or figures.

crumbcake Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:14am
post #3 of 20

Thanks Cakedevine, Have you tried it on cookies?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:28am
post #4 of 20

I tried it once and hated it. It's obscenely sweet, and when I rolled it out thin I could see some of the cake through it. It was sort of translucent. It wasn't as pliable as Satin Ice.

You'll get every opinion under the sun when you ask about fondant. You just need to buy some and try it. There's no other way to decide which you like better.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:00am
post #5 of 20

Try it you will love it. I rarely do cookies but I would imagine that it would be great. The buttercream flavor is amazing. And it is actually no sweeter than Satin Ice. To me Satin Ice is not much better than Wilton. Fondx is better than Satin Ice, but to me and everyone of my clients who have ever tried it when they want fondant on their cake love it too.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 20

I bought some of there samples, and left them in the box they came in, about a month later i took it out to see how they taste and they were hard as rocks(: I didnt think anything about them just cutting little pieces rolled up and placed in baggies, with the flavor written on them, They tasted really great though, my thought is will it dry out now once you open the big packs? Not sure.

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 20

Been using it for years on all my cakes. It has been great to work with. , taste awesome. In fact finally , my clients like the taste of this fondant. Plus it comes in so many great colors and great flavors. If you reseal it well and put it back in the bucket, it doesn't dry out to much. I,ve never had a problem with that. Also just put it in the microwave for a few seconds and knead real well, and it will be as good as new. Good luck. icon_wink.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamenz

Been using it for years on all my cakes. It has been great to work with. , taste awesome. In fact finally , my clients like the taste of this fondant. Plus it comes in so many great colors and great flavors. If you reseal it well and put it back in the bucket, it doesn't dry out to much. I,ve never had a problem with that. Also just put it in the microwave for a few seconds and knead real well, and it will be as good as new. Good luck. icon_wink.gif

Thanks , i would like to really work with it but wasnt sure how it is packaged. Never thought of the micro, i will get the rest of the little samples and try it(:

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 20

I had the same thing happen as cakebaker1957. My samples dried out and were hard as rocks. They did taste really good though but I was afraid if I ordered some and didn't use it right away the same thing would happen. I did make some tiny cutout flowers to see how they held up. They dried hard as rocks and the color faded. Should I try again with a real "bucket" instead of samples?

crumbcake Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 20

How did you all get the sample flavors, did you contact the company?

cakebaker1957 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbcake

How did you all get the sample flavors, did you contact the company?

Yes, they have a order form for them.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 20

It's all I use now to cover cakes. My family chose it in the taste test we did last year and I find it easier to work with. I still get Satin Ice, but that's just for figures or flowers (things I need to harden better). They all loved the buttercream flavor.

The only complaint my hubby (back issues - so hubby does the large kneading and rolling jobs for me) has is that it's so hard when you first cut chunks off the main block - you really have to work it, but then it's nice and soft and stays easy to work with. I can really take my time to get the cake covered smooth without worrying about it drying and cracking like I would with Satin Ice.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy7953

I had the same thing happen as cakebaker1957. My samples dried out and were hard as rocks. They did taste really good though but I was afraid if I ordered some and didn't use it right away the same thing would happen. I did make some tiny cutout flowers to see how they held up. They dried hard as rocks and the color faded. Should I try again with a real "bucket" instead of samples?

I'm a hobby baker and a bucket lasts me a little over 6 months. Their buckets seem to seal better than SI's and if I rip the bag or when the amount left is small enough, I put it in a gallon ziplock before putting it back in the bucket. I haven't had to cut away any dried out sections like I have with SI.

hanacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hanacakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:20pm
post #14 of 20

i'm pretty new at making cakes and only do it for a hobby but i LOVE covering my cakes with fondarific!!! it soooo easy to use and taste great! it is really hard but once you microwave it for a little bit its soooo easy and it stays nice and soft also it doesn't stick to the counters. I'm really really fond of their fondant.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:37pm
post #15 of 20

I would avoid the flavored packages. Most of them do not taste very good.
Personally, I didn't like working with it and have gone back to Satin Ice or Masa for wedding cakes.

fondant2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondant2010 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:02am
post #16 of 20

i have had my best results personally with satin ice. there product is very easy to work with and lasts a lot longer then the others i have used.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:07am
post #17 of 20

icon_confused.gif Is FondX and Fondarific the same thing?

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:33am
post #18 of 20

No Fondarific and Fondx are not the same.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:47am
post #19 of 20

We LOVE Fondarific. The ladies are wonderful to work with, the flavors are tasty, and they color real well if you need to alter the color. We also love that you don't have to use as much per cake as you would with other flavors.

Paul & Peter

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:47pm
post #20 of 20

I have used Fondarific on cookies and love it - I can't flood a cookie uniformly to save my soul. I just wish I could get it somewhere locally - bought my first tub at ICES last year and am still working thru that one, but to pay to have it shipped when I'm a hobby baker and don't make any money - well I can't justify the cost right now. I'm saving what I have left for the cookies I'm making for my nephew's graduation coming up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%