Hand Painting A Leopard Print On Fondant

Decorating By glow0369 Updated 21 Jun 2014 , 10:40am by Cakes By Carole

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 10

I will be painting a leopard cake for the first time... any helpful tips would be appreciated. I have several samples of good prints. Do you paint a background first before the spots??? etc

9 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:43am
post #2 of 10

I'm not an expert but I did this cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1444502

I colored my fondant the color I wanted for the background. I think painting the background color might be difficult. I don't have any tips. I just made my spots sort of random. Looking at a photo of real leopard spots was a big help for me.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:01am
post #3 of 10

I've practiced painting leopard print on fondant and I found it was easiest to first tint the fondant the background color, cover the cake with that, and then paint. It helps to NOT try to make the spots perfect or uniform. I think I first painted the brown spots, and then went back and painted the black outline. hth icon_smile.gif

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the tips. I have been decorating cakes for 15 years and I never do a practice cake. I just do it when it's time to do, and so far every cake has worked out. Luck maybe...

JackRussellJulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackRussellJulie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 10

I did a leopard print recently using powdered colours brushed over the whole cake for a base colour, the uneveness helped to add to the realness of it IMO. I then painted the spots on with colours mixed with alcohol. Easier than I thought it would be.

iheartcupkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcupkakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 10

only help i can add here is maybe use celery to mark where you want them.. its the perfect shape.. i used to be a hairstylist and to make leopard in hair i used celery... good luck

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow0369

Thanks for the tips. I have been decorating cakes for 15 years and I never do a practice cake. I just do it when it's time to do, and so far every cake has worked out. Luck maybe...

I did a little practicing on some scraps of fondant before I did the spots on the actual cake. I also started painting on the back of my cake so that by the time I got to the front, they were looking a little better. icon_lol.gif

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 10

I have a babyshower leopard theme cake this Saturday. Perfect timing.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow0369

It wasn't a real cake, but a cake "dummy", I'm just starting out and I like to try things before I go all in with a real cake.

Cakes By Carole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes By Carole Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 10:40am
post #10 of 10

Hello Iheartcupcakes, Thank you for the celery tip....will try it tomorrow as practice! Thanks Carole

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%