What Size Gumpaste Roses Should I Make?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 1:12am by cherrycakes

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a wedding cake that will be 6-9-12-14 and I'm making a cascade of gumpaste roses and possible calla lillies which will go down the front of the cake. I am using JEM 5 petal rose cutters and I'm wondering which size would be better - 80mm or 100mm? I'd hate to make them all and find they are out of proportion so any expert advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 6

I usually use a couple of sizes for the same rose, to make the outer petals larger than the inner ones. Having different sizes of flowers looks more realistic than having them all exactly the same, too, plus if you make some smaller ones then you can fill in any empty spaces you end up with.

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 6

I agree, a couple of sizes looks nicer. I did a wedding cake with roses around every tier and they wanted them all exactly the same, but it looked too harsh to me.

I'm sure you'll make it up as you go along, good luck icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 6

Different sizes & don't forget to make some buds.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 6

Different sizes yes, but stick with the smaller sizes. I like 80 and 90 together with buds. If you look in my pix, in Megan's wedding cake (the black and white one with roses) they had some buds, some semi-open and some fully opened -- all done with the 80. That's my favorite size.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:12am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! I made a few today using the 100mm and I was thinking they looked rather large - I'll go down to the 80mm and do some variations in size using that cutter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%