Flowerpot Cakes....do You Really Bake In A Flowerpot??

Decorating By littleladyk Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm by littleladyk

littleladyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleladyk Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 12

Hi ALL!
My next cake venture is going to be a flowerpot cake, as i was looking at all the awesome pics on here to get some ideas, i noticed some people say they baked the cake in a real flowerpot....is this true?? and is this the best way to do it, or are there other ways to get the "look" of the flowerpot??
Thank you for your time.
Keri

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 12

I baked mine in the clay flowerpot but I lined the pot with foil and used a dense cake mix so it would be firm.It worked great!!

littleladyk Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 12

thanks kiddiekakes!
what type of a recipe do you use to make a dense cake??

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 12

I jsut used a pound cake recipe from the web...

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 12

I'm not sure this is a good idea. This has been posted before about not knowing what chemicals or dyes could be in the pot. Even if you line it with foil there is still the possibility chemicals would be released from the heat of the oven.

littleladyk Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 12

thank you both for all the info.
Casme, do you know of any other ideas of baking it in anything else to make it resemble a flower pot??

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 12

I have used a glass measuring cup. The older ones are not straight sided and the finished cake has the same shape as the pot. You can use fondant or a thick ribbon of icing to mimic the lip at the top. Good luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #8 of 12

There was a thread about this just yesterday
"Can I bake in a terracotta pot?" in this forum
which has a link posted by King-Girlz:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....25610.html
that basically says it's okay IF you use unglazed pots because the glaze has lead in it.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #9 of 12

I do not know about baking a cake in flower pot, but if it helps, once I watched one of "Good Eats" episode in which "Alton Brown" used a flower pot to make kind of oven for grilling some Indian food. He explained which pots are usable for that purpose, not sure if the rules work for baking or not. I will try to find an answer since the idea is so tempting.
-------------------------------------------------------
update:
I found these websites just take a look I do not have time to read the whole articles but they are recipes baked in clay pots.
Flowerpot Bread
http://www.cookingwithkids.com/cookbooks/kneadit/pot.html
Flowerpot Cakes
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/flowerpot-cakes

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:44am
post #10 of 12

I think I have seen clear glass flower pots before, maybe check on line. After a thorough washing they would be safe.

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:54am
post #11 of 12

I have never heard of the flower pot thing but there is a really good tutorial here on CC on how to make a flower pot cake, although it's a really elaborate one with a babies head on top it really gives you a great idea on how to just make the pot itself icon_smile.gif I will try and find it again and post it for you icon_smile.gif

littleladyk Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 12

thank you all for ALL the helpful info! Infinitsky....those are great articles, thanks for finding them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%