I Need Feedback And Critiques Please!!!!

Business By jenng1482 Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm by CWR41

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 11

My website has been live for a few weeks and i have been seeing a lot of traffic. I am sending my web disigner a list of minor tweaks and would love to have some more feedback before I send him the changes.

www.sugarmommascustomcakery.com

Thanks so much!

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 11

Great site..here are a few things I noticed.I immediately saw the "Place your order..Pay later" button and it kinda reminded me of buying furniture on a payment plan which seems sort of tacky and kinda cheapens a really professional looking site but that is JMO...I find the side bars are a little off as it keeps cutting off the cake picture behind it..If this is meant to be the case then I find it sort of odd and I feel like I am missing the picture behind it which I would like to see more of.I like your pricing and flavor page although I don't think it is necessary to state what desserts may/may not cost in a restaraunt and how cheap you can make one for...I would eliminate the line "Starting as low as $1.80 per serving and just put Sugar Mommas will create etc...again it sounds like a used car line...I'm not trying to be mean I am just having you see the perception of what the customer may see or interpret! Great site ...You will do well!!

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 11

I am by no means an expert, so take this for what it's worth!

I like the layout of your site, especially the FAQ section...love the way the answers roll down instead of a long page to scroll through.

Color-wise, I love the pink & black together, but the bright green just isn't in the right hue...it's too neon/bright IMHO.

Forgive me for my lack of geographical skills, but where in the state is Pierre located? Is it sort of in the middle of SD? Just curious. Your prices seem a tad on the low side, especially if you're in a larger metro area. But, you know your customers.

You might consider adding a "my story" or "about us" section to let the prospective customer get to know you a bit better & tell how your business developed.

Overall, I think it looks great!

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 11

Just been looking at your site. It's awesome and I love that it is so user friendly. Great FAQs and flavour pages. I'm sure you'll hear this a lot, but be careful of posting copyrighted characters (like Spiderman) on your site to avoid lawsuits.

Otherwise. AWESOME! icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 11

Overall your site looks great. I agree with KiddieKakes about the "place your order now....pay later" and I'd get rid of the reference to how much desserts cost in a resturant. I also agree with flowerpowerMN about the neon looking green. Your prices seem a little low but maybe that's the going rate in your area?

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks so much for your feedback!

I dont really care for the neon either. I think i will ask him to change it to more of a green instead of a neon charteuse (or whatever that is)

Pierre (pop. about 15000) is smack dab in the middle of South Dakota - otherwise known as the middle of nowhere. As far as purchasing cakes, we have 2 grocery stores and 1 in-home baker.

I see your point about the restaurant line. The reason i wrote that is because the only place people know is Walmart (I am not trying to compare the 2 at all) but it has been hard trying to get people to understand the value of what they are getting. I will rethink the wording on the page. Thanks!

My webdesigner is young (he's a relative) and is trying to be as new-wave tech as he can by trying out new things on my site. For example - he set up my gallery so that when i upload pics into Facebook I just have to put certain key words in the caption and then can sync it to the site myself! I have a new pic added to the site almost as soon as its done and dont have to keep bugging him. I think thats the reasoning for the tab at the top. He wants people to be able to place an order, i sent back the total, then they pay online.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 11

Your site is great, I just saw two things on your faq page under pricing you state prices start at 2.00 but on your flavor pricing page you have 1.80 per slice.
Also under delivery, it states deliver must be arranged instead of delivery.
Otherwise everything is on.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 11

Best of luck with your business!

I used to live in Rapid City....love the west!!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 11

Under FAQ you state $.50 per stem if you arrange for the flowers, does that include the flowers or are they extra? Maybe I just read it wrong.

oceanslayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanslayer Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 11

I am so used to the buttons being on the left of the page that it throws me off a bit to have them on the right. You may want to have your web designer reformat the screen size so that the scroll bar doesn't appear at the bottom. Also, I didn't see in the programming code that he used keywords. Maybe I just missed them. You will definitely want lots of keywords in the coding so it can be found in search engines. Other than that, I think it's adorable, informative, and I wish you tons of luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 11

You may want to add these changes to your update list...

Flavors & Pricing page:
Flavors & Pricing
Flavors & Pricing

Single Tier Filled Cakes
Single-Tier Filled Cakes

Testimonials page:
Sara ...the inside is work of art
  ...the inside is a work of art

Alisia ...by the quailty
  ...by the quality
  ...look great but
  ...look great, but
  ...from her she always
  ...from her, she always

FAQs page:
FAQs
FAQs (no apostrophe in frequently asked questions.)

Question: When should I reserve my cake?
At certain times I
At certain times, I

have availablility
have availability

Queston: Do you have tastings?
Question:

Question: Can I choose more than one flavor?
Yes, with stacked or tiered cakes you
Yes, with stacked or tiered cakes, you

Question: Does fondant taste good?
It is homemade by me and
It is homemade by me, and

underneath my fondant so
underneath my fondant, so

Question: Do you provide fresh flowers for my cake?
flowers to place on your cake I
flowers to place on your cake, I

wires, floral tape and water picks etc.
wires, floral tape, and water picks, etc.

Deliver must be arranged
Delivery must be arranged (previously mentioned)

by date of your final payment
by date of your final payment.

Question: How do I transport my cake home?
It is very secure all cakes should travel safely.
It is very secure, and all cakes should travel safely.

set up by customers and cakes damaged
set up by customers, and cakes damaged

Question: How do I contact you?
The best way to contact me for more information and
The best way to contact me for more information, and

to receive a price quote is to
to receive a price quote, is to

email me at (______________) or you
email me at (______________), or you

fill out my contact us form.
fill out my contact us form.

Good luck! Looks good!