Help! Designer's Block, Need Inspiration!

Decorating By AnaToplin Updated 11 May 2010 , 9:23pm by AnaToplin

AnaToplin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaToplin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 18

Hello, all and thanks for reading: I was asked to do a Bridal Shower cake for a Garden Themed party. The bride wants a Teal color cake with butterflies and orchids, but does not want any pink or purple in the cake. She wants the cake to be the "ice breaker" or conversation piece. I have drawn up about five of my own sketches, and have looked throught the many beautiful designs on here- but I am feeling pressure b/c she wants it to be "the main event" so to speak. I was going for something simple and elegant. I was thinking 3 tiers with the teal going from dark to light from bottom up, small golden butterflies and white orchids. But not sure if that will be too simple. How do I incorporate the garden theme? Just with the orchids? I have asked for more imput from her, but I am not getting many answers and she says she trusts me creativity. OY! Any ideas, suggestions? The cake is for mid May so I have some time. But I'd like to be at peace with this. Thanks for any advice!!

17 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 18

I have a bunch of butter fly cakes in my files..I tried to attach them, but did not work...pm me your e-mail and I can e-mail them to youicon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 18

what about putting picket fences around the tiers? Or even a few sections of picket fencing here and there around the tiers (they always say "garden" to me)

also, how about making chocolate butterflies......they would look gorgeous against a teal cake
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 18

http://www.brenscakes.com/garden_cake2_sm.jpg
here is a pretty cake with picket fencing

Florimbio Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 18

not my cake...just an idea
LL

Florimbio Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 18

more
LL

Florimbio Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 18

another
LL

Florimbio Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 18

pm me if you want more pics...like I said...any cake I like I saveicon_smile.gif......not taking credit....just sharing for ideas...
LL

thats2cute Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thats2cute Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 18

I like this cake...I found it at pinkcakebox.com (The decorator gives credit to The Cake Girls in Chicago for the original idea)

You could change the color scheme to match the brides colors and add orchids in exchange for some of the butterflies.

thats2cute Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thats2cute Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 18

Here's another one I found posted on ringenvy.com (couldn't find who actually made the cake, but in the picture is a website listed, but I cant read it very well)
LL

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaToplin

Hello, all and thanks for reading: I was asked to do a Bridal Shower cake for a Garden Themed party. The bride wants a Teal color cake with butterflies and orchids, but does not want any pink or purple in the cake. She wants the cake to be the "ice breaker" or conversation piece. I have drawn up about five of my own sketches, and have looked throught the many beautiful designs on here- but I am feeling pressure b/c she wants it to be "the main event" so to speak. I was going for something simple and elegant. I was thinking 3 tiers with the teal going from dark to light from bottom up, small golden butterflies and white orchids. But not sure if that will be too simple. How do I incorporate the garden theme? Just with the orchids? I have asked for more imput from her, but I am not getting many answers and she says she trusts me creativity. OY! Any ideas, suggestions? The cake is for mid May so I have some time. But I'd like to be at peace with this. Thanks for any advice!!

ha ha!! I had to laugh when I read "teal" and "butterflies" in the same sentence! I did a "teal butterfly" cake in my pix!! The butterflies are gelatin and it was fairly straightforward to do (not to mention a showstopper and conversation starter!) icon_biggrin.gif

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florimbio

pm me if you want more pics...like I said...any cake I like I saveicon_smile.gif......not taking credit....just sharing for ideas...

That cake is gorgeous!

What about using a pathway to a bench. I always like benches in gardens. And vines. And maybe birds. icon_rolleyes.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 11:22pm
post #13 of 18

So AnaToplin, what did you decide?

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:10am
post #14 of 18

I did a google search under orchid garden and found some interesting pictures that could give you some ideas. One thing I saw in a lot of the gardens was landscape rocks, some covered with moss. You could do a tiered garden with rock retaining walls on each level filled in with orchids and butterflies.

AnaToplin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:53pm
post #15 of 18

So many ideas! I haven't touched base with the bride for our consultation...or rather, she hasn't gotten back to me...yikes! She seemed very excited about it, maybe she's just busy- her sister, setting it all up, reassures me she (sister) really wants me to make it. I am stuck between one of my own designs inspired by something Florimbio sent me, and something like what Thats2cute sent on this post...bobwonderbuns, yours is gorgeous...I just don't know. I want to meet with the bride and have her choose what she wants out of my sketches/these pics. Thanks, all, I will post this cake when i make it!!!

AnaToplin Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:08pm
post #16 of 18

Can you beleive the bride and her sister have ditched me?!?!?! At least that is what I am left to think!! I text the sister of the bride and she wrote back she was out of town until last Thursday. She also said that YES! They DO want me to make the cake and we would meet to discuss the details upon her return and to give me adeposit. Well, it's now the Tuesday of the week of the party, and I have not heard from them. I turned down another job to do this cake and I was freaking out on design ideas. I am grateful for all your ideas....I feel like a fool. Like my cake mentor says: No money, no honey! ARRRRRG! >icon_sad.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #17 of 18

I'm soooo sorry they did that to you!! It's this kind of situation that inspired me to come up with the "if you want to reserve me for the date of your party, you can give me a deposit LOOOOOONNG before the date!" Don't feel foolish, look at it as a learning experience and make your changes and go from there. You're a better person because of this experience (and now you have LOTS of cool cake ideas for another cake!) icon_biggrin.gif

AnaToplin Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:23pm
post #18 of 18

thank you bobwonderbuns (your name tickles me hee hee!) yes, i def have some really great ideas, and yes, I learn yet again. It keeps us young icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%