Black Fondant

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm by astone83

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 7

Looking for some advice/experiences.

I waited too long and have a cake due tomorrow that I need black fondant for. I went to my local store to buy Wilton Black fondant and they are sold out. I have some Wilton light brown and dark brown - should I use that to make black? Or I found a recipe on here for black fondant but I only have Wilton black -will that work in place of gel?

THanks in advance for any advice you can give me! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Audg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audg Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 7

I would use the marshmellow foundant recipe- SO EASY! and great to work with-! But beware you might need alot of black dye to get a true black-mine always turns out gray.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 7

The times I've made black, I did it by blending leftover colored fondant together, then adding Wilton black to whatever gross color the blending produced.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 7

With Americolour superblack it's so black that you don't even need crisco to get a deep rich black colour. With Wilton black - I find I need to use (approx) 3 cups mini marshmallows, 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips - microwave it until melted, then add 3 tbsp crisco, 3 tbsp cocoa, 1/4 of a one oz jar of Wilton black and powdered sugar until it comes together nicelyicon_smile.gif I never measure though so my amounts might need to be tweaked a biticon_smile.gif

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 7

For the very best black MMF that you've ever tasted...try Rhonda's Ultimate Chocolate MMF (found here on cc - just search for black MMF on the recipe tab ). I have had nothing but raves over the taste! and very easy to make.
Forgot to say that I do add just a few drops of black Americolor to make it really black. thumbs_up.gif

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 7

I have only made black fondant once, I used Wilton's black, but i used A LOT, almost the whole thing, and it was still deep gray. I have had this problem with BC too.. but I just bought Americolor Super Black for my next cake.. I asked about making black BC, people on here said to start with chocolate BC, so i dont see why you couldnt start with brown fondant...

astone83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astone83 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 7

Check with supermarket bakery's. The Publix bakery by me sells fondant and will dye it free of charge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%