Ripping Fondant On A Dummy - Help

Decorating By bonniebakes Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 10:47pm by bonniebakes

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 8

OK, let me start off by saying that though I've been on CC for a while, I mostly do cookies, but have started to dabble a bit more into the world of cakes (particularly fondant). I've only covered a couple of cakes in fondant, and today I tried my 3rd fondant covered cake... notice I said tried?

I used wilton fondant - it's only for a dummy, not to be eaten. I followed the advice to cover the dummy in press & seal and crisco - worked great. I colored it 2 days ago and sealed it in a plastic bag (I also did this last time and I had no problems). But when I started to roll out the fondant this time it seemed dry. It was cracking around the folds when I kneaded it. So, I added some crisco...

It seemed soft and pliable, and it seemed to roll out OK, but on the dummy it's either cracking or looking dry around the top corners... is there a way to fix this? I've tried rubbing in some extra criso and it's better, but it needs to stay looking nice for about 2 weeks... will it get worse as it dries? And what else can I do to try to fix it?

thanks in advance for any help or ideas!!

~Bonnie

7 replies
ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #2 of 8

If it's already on the cake and isn't sliding down or cracking more, then as it dries it should stay how it is now (but any cracks that are there will still remain unless you can rub them out with crisco or water). I try to get my fondant as soft and pliable as possible so that it goes onto the cake/dummy smoothly; if i'm having trouble then I know it won't go onto the cake. I always soften my fondant in the microwave for a few seconds and then knead it. I also don't use powdered sugar, instead I grease my mat with shortening and then roll it out. That helps prevent it from drying out too quickly.

hth icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 8

thanks for that response!

How long do you put it in the microwave for? just a few seconds at a time, I'm guessing... until it gets soft or should it get warm, too?

Is there a limit to how much crisco you should use?

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 8

I usually leave it in the microwave for 5 second intervals, you'd be surprised how quickly it softens! I microwave it until it's soft enough for me to easily knead (soft but not too warm or hot).

For the amount of crisco, I think it depends on the type of fondant you're using. I use it on my hands and my work surface (enough so that the fondant isn't sticking), and reapply whenever it starts to stick.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 8

Sugarshack on her video also describes being able to cover rips with some BC the same color as the fondant to hide blemishes.

Cakelayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelayer Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 8

I've found that if my fondant is rolled too thin it will crack. Make sure that it's thick enough. It's a very difficult balance...not too dry and also not too wet.

DianaJJ

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 8

Also when covering dummies make sure you soften the edges, if they are to sharp the fondant will crack. I use the rough side of a kitchen sponge and work the edge until it is even and rounded

bonniebakes Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 8

thank you all for your replies!

I did soften the edges, and I've used those particular dummies before without this problem. Maybe I am rolling it too thin, but it seems to be between 1/8 and 1/4"... does that sound too thin?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%