3D Hockey Bag Cake

Decorating By JenLGAJ Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 2:10pm by DianeLM

JenLGAJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLGAJ Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 3

Calling out to all you experts out there for help with this one...

I've been asked to make a3D hockey bag cake similar to the one by Pink Cake Box - trying to poct image - hope it works.
[/img]

I'm trying to decide how to go about stacking layers, what size cakes to use and how many.
My first thoughts were to stack 4 - 9x13 2" layers together and then carve to get the shape I want. I want good height, so this should give me a good 8" +.
Also, with a cake that tall.... should I be adding a cake board in there to separate the layers in half and maybe add some support???
My concerns are stability and then when the customer goes to cut the cake to serve. An 8" high piece of cake seems ridiculous to me, not to mention difficult to cut.
Any thoughts/advice is MUCH appreciated!

Jen
LL

2 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 3

I love Ann's work, but I do have to laugh at the idea of a hockey stick inside of a hockey bag! Sorry, this is one of those things that having played hockey, I actually think of (Now i think I need to do a hockey themed cake).

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

I love Ann's work, but I do have to laugh at the idea of a hockey stick inside of a hockey bag!.

That was the first thing I noticed too!!!! hahahahaha (Didja see the Caps totally wreck Montreal last night? Don't start designing that Stanley Cup cake just yet -- Blackhawks are going to take the cup this year. icon_smile.gif )

Jen, I think you've got this figured out just fine. You would definitely need to put at least one board in there for both stability and ease of serving.

I would also suggest baking an extra 9x13 so you have extra cake in case you need it to build up some areas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%