Taste Of Fondant

Decorating By stuttgartkim Updated 24 Feb 2005 , 4:38am by nashsmom

stuttgartkim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stuttgartkim Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 10:53am
post #1 of 6

I don't use fondant, but so many people do that I'm hoping that you can answer my question. I used it once to make Calla lillies which didn't take good at all, so I don't dare use it to cover a cake. How do you make it taste.. well... better than dried paste? I want my cakes to be beautiful, but I also want them to taste good.

(by the way, I'm new. Hello from snowy Stuttgart Germany!)

- Kim

5 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 6

One form of fondant that tastes good and looks like real fondant is marshmallow fondant.
Here's the link to the recipe: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-Marshmallow-Fondant.html
Hope this helps!

Carriemyvoice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carriemyvoice Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 6

Hello! And welcome. This is a great site that you have joined. Lots of friendly cake bakers/ decorators and very useful information.
As for your question, I use the flavorings that are in my buttercream recipe. I just knead them into the fondant and that helps with the flavor.
You could use just about any flavor you want. I like butter, almond and vanilla.
Hope this helps.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 6

Welcome "A Board"! LOL! Marshmallow Fondant has my vote...it can be flavored as well, although I don't think it needs any flavor added, tastes great on its own!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 6

Welcome! There's lots to be learned here and many wonderful people willing to share and help! Marshmallow fondant is good and i've used Satin Ice fondant which has a vanilla flavor which is good. You can also make candy clay and mix with fondant for a better taste or even rolled buttercream. I've tried it all! I wasn't happy with the results of mixing flavoring into the regular fondant. It didn't work well for me.

Good Luck!
Debbie

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 24 Feb 2005 , 4:38am
post #6 of 6

I have a recipe for rolled buttercream I can share with you. The rolled buttercream is similar to fondant in texture, but tastes so much better. I can't post the recipe, but I can email to you. If you would like it pm your email address to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%