Help With Piano Or Keyboard Keys Please

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 4:32am by CWR41

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 5

All,
I've had a last minute request for a keyboard cake (not a computer keyboard, a musical keyboard). I am unsure how to mold or shape the individual white keys to make them look realistic. I'm in a time crunch because I have to have this done by Friday morning (and I work a regular fulltime job during the day! UGH!)...

Can anyone give me any ideas? This will be a fondant cake and I want to make it look as close to a real musical keyboard as I can...

Thanks so much in advance!

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 5

Rather than molding the keys individually, make a thick sheet of white fondant and make impressions between the keys with a long, thin item, such as the side of a ruler or blade. Then, you only have to mold the black keys - EASY - and place them in the appropriate spaces over the white keys.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 5

Not sure if they would be too thick and I don't know the cake size, but doesn't dipping Kit Kats in black candy melts sound like they would work? Maybe?

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:00am
post #4 of 5

wow, now that's creative!
icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:32am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Not sure if they would be too thick and I don't know the cake size, but doesn't dipping Kit Kats in black candy melts sound like they would work? Maybe?

I've painted black chocolate onto Kit Kats for the black piano keys. It worked well, especially if there's a worry they'll end up too thick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%