Swans Down Hi Ratio Cake Flour

Decorating By DanaG21 Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 5:32pm by prterrell

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 6

I was in my Cash & Carry store looking to see what kind of cake flour they offered. The only thing they had was Swan Down Hi Ratio Cake flour. A 50lb bag was $15.79. A much better price than $2.76 for a box a Softasilk cake flour but is the quality different? Worse or better? Thanks!

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:43am
post #2 of 6

Swans down is a great cake flour brand.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #3 of 6

Swans down is the only cake flour I can find in my neck of the woods and I love it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:59am
post #4 of 6

I use both brands interchangeably, I have not noticed much difference between them. Some of our stores carry one, and some the other. I only use it for one recipe in particular (the rest call for regular flour) so its not bad to have to buy the boxes.

That is a TON cheaper though! Wish we had that store!

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and make the committment. DH will be thrilled to have one more 50lb bag of "cake" ingredient to haul in and find a place to store!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 6

Just make sure you store it in an airtight container. I once found the remains of a scorpion that had suffocated in my open box of cake flour. Yuck! I since store all my dry goods in airtight containers, no mater what the original packaging is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%