Covering A Cake Board

Decorating By cookiecutters Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 12:08am by Sweet_Guys

cookiecutters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecutters Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 11

I am looking for new things besides fancifoil and fondant with which to cover cake boards. I've seen many boards on this sight covered in different glossy papers. Where can I find this?

10 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 11

Try your local craft store for the paper or use wrapping paper, then cover with press n seal or clear contact paper. You can also cover your boards with melted candy melts.

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 11

I just read, in one of these posts, to cover your board with thinned royal icing. I have never heard of that before and might have to try it sometime. So, maybe there's an idea for ya?? icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 11

scott woolley uses r/i to cover his boards. at least the dvd i have shows it.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 11

I've also seen cake boards here covered with "oil cloth" or vinyl table table cloth material.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 11

I've used all of the above. I also use freezer paper, shiney side up.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 11

I love wrapping paper anyway, so I usually have a whole bunch of different patterns/colors around the house. Clear contact paper over this and the board looks lovely! Although it's easier to cover a sheet board like this than a circle. The circle boards get a little bunchy underneath (even after I press down on them) and I haven't been able to figure out a way to avoid that.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 11

If you cut the paper in a circle then cut slits all the way around the circle it will lay flat on the bottom.

cookiecutters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecutters Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 11

mamawrobin, do you have to cover the freezer paper with the clear contact paper or is it grease proof as is?

Thanks for all of the ideas. I'd like to see a picture of the board covered in RI.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:02am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutters

mamawrobin, do you have to cover the freezer paper with the clear contact paper or is it grease proof as is?

Thanks for all of the ideas. I'd like to see a picture of the board covered in RI.

Absolutely not. Freezer paper is food safe. That's Why I like using it, plus it's pretty and shiney. I love to use wrapping paper or material that enhances the design on my cake as well. Of course I have to cover that with clear contact paper. I also put a matching ribbon around the edge of the cakeboard.

I use to cover my cake boards with fondant but I rarely do that anymore.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:08am
post #11 of 11

You can cover it with fondant. I also read recently where an English baker uses chocolate to cover some of his boards.

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%