Needing Help With A Pillow Cake

Decorating By debster Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm by debster

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 7

Ok this will be my first pillow cake and first tiara. I have to make a double layer 16" pillow. What I'm wondering is first of all they have to be crumbcoated then flipped to do the other side then add the fondant and flip again to do the other side. What's the best way and how do I flip something that size without killing it? Thanks I'm nervous as all get out. Any information is appreciated.

6 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 7
debster Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 7

No thanks I hadn't seen those, I was wanting to know how to flip the monster I hope they tell me . Thanks

KrissieCakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 7

Lol! 16" sure is a monster! I only had to flip a 10"! I used another sturdy cake board when I made mine. Not sure how heavy that 16" one would be though!

debster Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 7

I think where I'm confused is do you make the two layers trim it then frost and fondant then flip that to the bottom then do top side so it's only flipped once? I'm a visual and they didn't make that clear in the post. Thanks though. When I flip it over with just the underside done the fondant won't fall off will it from the gravity? I can only vision a disaster.

KrissieCakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 7

Here is how I did it..

1. Make the two layers, trim the tops evenly
2. Fill between the two layers
3. Chill to firm.
4. Carve
5. Crumb coat entire cake
6. Put fondant on the bottom side, FLIP.
7. Put fondant on the top side
8. Add trim pieces to cover the seam.

None of the fondant fell off! My cake did look a little wonky because I trimmed off too much. I followed the directions in that article to a tee, trimming the exact measurements off of the cake. Problem was that the article used a 12" cake and I made an 8" or 10" cake. I trimmed it back waaaay too much!

debster Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%