Base For 3 Tier Cake.

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 11:29am by mindy1204

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:45am
post #1 of 4

I am making my first 3 tier cake. I am going to use bubble straws with boards between the tiers. I need something solid to put it on to carry it and display it. I was going to buy a board from Home Depot and then I remembered some of you use ceramic tiles.

Question is what do you use for a 3 tier and up cake and if you use a board of tile how do you get the center dowel all the way thru those 2 to give the cake stability. I do not want to use a silver drum and I know just sticking it thru a thin 12 inch board isnt going to be good enough.

Thanks
Mindy

3 replies
Himee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Himee Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:55am
post #2 of 4

I recently tried some craft styro that i just covered with fondant and stacked three tiers onto it with a cake board under my very bottom layer and used some good ol BC to glue it and when I went to put my dowels into the bottom tier I went into the styro just a bit ( hence the extra cake board underneath so I didnt get no yucky styro on my cake) and it held great. I made it for a friend who picked it up and drove with it for an hour and let me tell you she said her friend was driving crazy but it held up the whole time. Thats what I did but there may be some better suggestions out there.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:27am
post #3 of 4

I use 3-5 of the cake board rounds taped together. I cover all of my cake boards to match my cakes anyway so it just looks like a thick cake board once the cake is on it. If that makes any sense. icon_lol.gif

I also use straws and cake boards for support in all of my cakes and I've never had any problem with transporting any of them. I have used SPS for a couple of larger wedding cakes but I find that straws and boards work just fine for most all of my cakes.

If I'm making a three tier cake 10/8/6 I usually use at least a 14" cake base. Like I said I tape (usually 5 for that size cake) cake boards together, cover with matching paper or material and clear contact paper or freezer paper (shiny side up) and then I cover the edge with matching ribbon. You can see what I'm talking about in my photos. Most do this I think. Anyway...I'm rambling... icon_lol.gif to answer your question I just use cake boards just more than one or two thumbs_up.gif

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:29am
post #4 of 4

I usually do this for the smaller cakes I am just so worried about the cake boards giving way and then my fondant cracking. Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%