Has Anyone Ever.....freezing Fondant Cake

Decorating By BakedbyLisa Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 1:09am by BakedbyLisa

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 5

....frozen a fondant covered cake. The reason I ask is I made a birthday cake and the day it was due to be picked up I found out the woman was in the hospital because she had been assualted. I offered to deliver it to the hospital if she was ok but no one ever got back to me. I thought if I could freeze it I would still be able to give it to her once she is healed. I appreciate feedback if anyone has ever tried this. Thanks.

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, my mom freezes at least half of every cake I make for her, and she'll pull the cake out and thaw it a month later and it still looks and tastes fine. I use MMF, don't know if that makes a difference in how it handles freezing.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 5

I believe if you search the forum that this has been discussed, but most people say yes it can and just needs time to defrost.

What type/brand of fondant did you use?

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:30am
post #4 of 5

You can freeze the cake.. but defrosting becomes tricky if you've used a medium of color that might run so when defrosting place it in the fridge from the freezer & let it defrost there for a bit & then take it out to room temp... :0)

Sorry to here about your client will put her in my prayers....

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:09am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone for your input. The cake has some red Satin Ice fondant as well as MMF. I'm going to try and freeze it.....we'll see what happens!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%