Are You An Artist Or A Business?

Business By indydebi Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 11:04am by SallyBratt

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:13pm
post #31 of 41

[quote="ccr03"]Okay - anyone can look up definitions. If I wanted to know a definition, I'd go to Webster's Dictionary.

ccr03 I do apologize if my post made you upset. Was not intended. I was merly trying to get across with the posted definitions, that this debate has been around forever and will probably go on forever.
I should have made that clearer.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #32 of 41

That's cool. I'm not upset. It's all good.

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:33pm
post #33 of 41

Oh, gheez. Just reading all this reminds me of why I left the bickering, standard procedure, detail oriented world of finance to explore a more creative outlet. Each of us have natural strengths and ones to which we have adapted and perform well. There is no reason that an artist cannot also be a savvy business person. It is all about the individual.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #34 of 41

I think cake decorating, in and of itself, is a CRAFT that requires technical skills. You can be an artist who does cake decorating, but decorating itself does not necessarily make you an artist. You have to think like an artist...but there is nothing wrong with being a crafter. I personally am an artist first, decorator second, however I still have a lot to learn in the "technical" side. A beautiful sugar flower is not by itself "art". There is an art to sugar, but not everyone who makes sugar flowers is an artist...if you are an artist you understand this.

Just because you can reproduce something does NOT make you an artist. Art is about problem solving, aesthetics, etc...not just making something look like something else. Anyone can immitate something...that is not art, it's craft. I'm not saying one is better than the other...but this is a fact. This can be applied to many areas, not just art...or cake decorating.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

Oh, gheez. Just reading all this reminds me of why I left the bickering, standard procedure, detail oriented world of finance to explore a more creative outlet. Each of us have natural strengths and ones to which we have adapted and perform well. There is no reason that an artist cannot also be a savvy business person. It is all about the individual.

True, but just as someone who is a really great jockey is unlikely to be a great linebacker, someone who is a great artist is unlikely to have excellent business accumen. They are different, and largely contradictory skill sets.

idocakes4fun Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

True, but just as someone who is a really great jockey is unlikely to be a great linebacker, someone who is a great artist is unlikely to have excellent business accumen. They are different, and largely contradictory skill sets.

Agree that they are different and largely contradictory skill sets.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:01pm
post #37 of 41

Wow. I would summarize a lot of these posts as, "People have one talent, one way of thinking, and one side of the brain they use."

I disagree greatly.

idocakes4fun Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Wow. I would summarize a lot of these posts as, "People have one talent, one way of thinking, and one side of the brain they use."

I disagree greatly.

As do I, cheatize. My agreement to the fact that the skill sets are very different does not change my belief that an individual can excel in a variety of areas and that the most talented artist might also be suited to serve as CEO.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:46pm
post #39 of 41

I believe a successful artist CAN have a successful business or successfully run a business....I know many successful artists, two locally famous artists, who actually do all their own accounting. One has an MFA in ceramics and a BA in accounting...two VERY separate skills indeed. icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:30am
post #40 of 41

I have 3 succesfull businesses

I have an upscale cleaning business
a retro apron shop, I design and make all the apron sets I sell,
And a part time custom cake business.

No all of my cakes aren't art. Most of them arent for that matter, but I have made a few that are.

There is someone on here (can't remember her name right now) that makes the most beautifull cookies I have ever seen . I would definately call that person an artist.

I have sold about 50 paintings , and given away quite a few more to friends and family. That is why I call myself an artist.

I do not beleive someone cannot be a good business person and an artist!

SallyBratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SallyBratt Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 11:04am
post #41 of 41

Robert Bateman is an excellent example of an artist/business person. The man is rolling in it and it's not just because he paints lovely paintings...which I think he does (some would disagree)...but also because he's an amazing business person. Unfortunately that's one of the things that keeps him out of the major galleries in Canada.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%