Michaels Own Brand Of Decorating Bags... Fail

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 6:51pm by Kitagrl

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 19

I had a huge event this weekend, where I was selling cupcakes at an outdoor art show. I bought new 16 inch disposible bags from Michaels. They were the new Celebration ones. Everyone of the bags split. Most split at the seem near the tip. 2 I got filled and was piping icing and they split in the middle making a mess, one was in front of a customer. Luckily I took my package of small bags so we just used them, but had I not taken them it would of been a disaster. They are going back today for sure!

Anyone else had issues with the Celebration bags. It really stinks that we dont have any other stores to get supplies around here.

18 replies
momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 19

Yes, I was teaching a cookie class last week and the student's bags kept breaking.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 19

I would ask for a refund!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:03am
post #4 of 19

Thanks for the info. I almost bought them yesterday but opted to stick with the Wilton ones as I have never had a problem with them and the savings wasn't worth trying. On another note while I was there I asked if they were going to carry any other brands of fondant as the Duff stuff is severely overpriced ($29 for 2lbs!) and Wilton tastes awful. She said they might in the summer when the Cricut Cake arrives.

mindy1204 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 19

My Michaels didnt have the Wilton 16 inch disposable bags. Just the Celebration brand and the 12 inch Wilton. We also do not have Duffs stuff yet either.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:57am
post #6 of 19

I saw Duff`s fondant and buttercream at Michael`s for the first time yesterday. Pricey!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:21am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

My Michaels didnt have the Wilton 16 inch disposable bags. Just the Celebration brand and the 12 inch Wilton. We also do not have Duffs stuff yet either.

If you have a Wal-Mart near you they carry the Wilton 16 in. disposable bags. Or mine does anyway.

mindy1204 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:39am
post #8 of 19

Yeah we have Walmart and Joannes near my office so I will go there is I have to. One of the sales people at Michaels said "oh another package returned... I said so I am not the only one, he said yeah for that problem but she had other problems". Not sure what else could of been the problem but apparently there are others.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:52am
post #9 of 19

Bummer, I have an unopened large box of 12" bags, and know I don't have the receipt any more! I wonder if these would hold up for making the hot chocolate cones as gifts? I could just save them for that.

mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #10 of 19

Thank you for saving me the trouble. I probably would have bought them myself at some point. I'll just stick with Wilton icon_smile.gif

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:07am
post #11 of 19

I had that happen to the first box of Wilton disposable bags that I purchased when I started cake decorating. Like Linda, I hadn't saved my receipt. I used scotch tape and ran it along the seam so half was on each side. Salvaged that box of bags until they ran out and I bought others.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:20am
post #12 of 19

I actually like the Wilton disposable ones...but I'll be sad when I can no longer use my Michael's coupon to buy a nice big 100 ct box of them!

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:58am
post #13 of 19

Is Michaels going to stop carrying Wilton stuff?? icon_surprised.gif

mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:59am
post #14 of 19

I like the Wilton bags myself. I've never had any problem with them.

Geseka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geseka Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:22am
post #15 of 19

I recently bought a pack of the Celebration bags and used them the other day and again tonight. Each time, the bags split. For me, most split at the top but one bag split at the bottom as well. I was beginning to think I was jinxed! Definitely won't be purchasing these again. thumbsdown.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:19am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I actually like the Wilton disposable ones...but I'll be sad when I can no longer use my Michael's coupon to buy a nice big 100 ct box of them!

Are they going to stop carrying them or exclude them from coupons? I like them too!

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:50am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Check Ebay, if you are able to. I bought a box of 100 off of there.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:48pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kake4me2

Is Michaels going to stop carrying Wilton stuff?? icon_surprised.gif

No they will still have some Wilton stuff, but are switching over to the "Celebrate It" brand for some of the stuff, including cake pans.

Even if you don't have the reciept I would still contact Michaels if you have an issue with the bags. They need to know what is going on so they can try to fix it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:51pm
post #19 of 19

I tried some kind of disposable bags from my cake supply store and they were so stiff (clear plastic) that they were difficult to manage...it was hard to keep the bag twisted tight enough to contain the icing, and hard to make the tips fit down in nice and everything.

I think Wilton's disposable bags are one of my favorite things they have. haha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%