Probably A Very Silly Question.

Decorating By Faffy Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm by KHalstead

Faffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faffy Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 16

Hi CCers just wondering how most of you cool your cakes after baking? Do you take it out of oven and let it rest on a wire rack and when cool remove it from pan? Or do you invert it right after baking to cool? Thanks

15 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 16

Take out of oven and place pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Then I use two cake boards to transfer cake from pan to wire rack. Cool another 5-10 minutes and wrap in plastic wrap.

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 16

i cool mine on a wire rack in the pan for 10 mins then flip it out onto another wire rack and let it cool

Faffy Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks for the help!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 16

Meh . . .sometimes right side up, sometimes flip, sometimes they sit for an hour, sometimes a lot longer.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 16

I always turn them out of the pan after 10 minutes of cooling. If you let them cool completely in the pan, they are much more likely to stick because the oil/grease has had a chance to resolidify.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 16

Most of the time I take them out of the pan and they're onto the cooling rack within 10 minutes of getting them out of the oven. I have been known to leave them in the pan and cover them with a towel overnight.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 16

I turn mine out of the pans, soon as they are out of the oven onto a wire wrack.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 16

Leave to firm up 10 mins then flip onto rack. I learned the hard way that yep, if you wait too long, the fat does resolidify, as mentioned above, and you lose half your cake.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:36pm
post #10 of 16

I let mine sit in the pan for 10 minutes, no more than 15 mins, then level if I have to and flip onto a wire rack. I let them cool for at least 2 hours before I start to do anything with them.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 16

mine sit on a wire rack for about 10 minutes, and then get moved to a board and sit for a while longer.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 16

I let mine sit on a wire rack until I can touch the pan with my bare hands, then I flip. If it's a big cake I put another wire rack right over it and flip onto that so it always has support if its 10" or smaller I just flip the pan and hope it goes well.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:22am
post #13 of 16

I have learned after 20 plus years of baking (just BS baking, nothing fancy) to actually read the directions and do the 10 minute thing. I saw someone on here stressing it. and I havent lost a corner, a bottom, or anything else since then. LOL

I use bakers joy in my pan, unless its a tunnel of fudge (which I havent had in YEARS since they stopped selling them in East Texas...(???) ) then I grease and sugar the bundt pan..

Faffy Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #14 of 16

Wow you guys are great! I have been loosing some of my cake because I was letting them cool and the grease was hardening in the pan taking my cake with it. So then I tryed flipping the cake out as soon as they were comming out of the oven and then the cake was sticking to the rack!!!UUUUGGGG So now I know to leave them for 10 min because of you Thanks so much!!! icon_smile.gif

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 5:39pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Take out of oven and place pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Then I use two cake boards to transfer cake from pan to wire rack. Cool another 5-10 minutes and wrap in plastic wrap.

mamawrobin...

When in the process do you level and torte? I have such trouble with that part... because when I set the cake on the counter so that it won't move around while I'm cutting, it ends up sticking something awful, and being over moist and gooey on that surface even when it wasn't before.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #16 of 16

a lot of people will level it right in the pan (using the edge of the 2" high pan as a guide so the cake is exactly 2" high)

I take a cooling rack and smoosh my cake down so that it's level, no cutting required lol

This way you get a nice even top, a little denser cake, and no crumbs!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%