Stick With What I Know?

Decorating By tmac670 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 9:34pm by Texas_Rose

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake for my son's marching band banquet. It will be 230 servings with a 14x22 football field base then 12, 10, 8 and 6 inch rounds stacked on top of that. I have done stacked cakes before- just not 5 tiers worth! I plan on using SPS, even though I have never used it before, it gets such rave reviews I have to try it. And I have to transport this cake 30 minutes on winding roads (so I am terrified about sliding.
My question has to do with the cake itself. I have had a lot of success using the altered tiered cake recipe from Duncan Hines- but like I said, I have not stacked 5 tiers. Do I go outside my comfort zone and try the WASC recipe that also gets raves here? I am at the point in my decorating life that I am READY to take it to the next level-- I am tired of spending the last 10 years as a rank amateur!
Another question I have is about almond extract- does it affect people with nut allergies?
TIA- you are all such an inspiration to me- CC is WHY I feel the overwhelming desire to improve my skills! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 5

The WASC recipe (using cake mix) is very sturdy. If you're concerned about it, make a batch and see if you like it. I've found that you just have to be willing to bake some recipes and see how you like them in order to broaden your repertoire.

Some almond extract uses artificial flavor only, and of course, wouldn't cause an allergic reaction. I would think that any almond extract with real almond oil could cause an allergy. Why wouldn't it? It's made of nuts.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, and congrats on this project!

First...you will LOVE using SPS, and can really transport your cake worry-free!

As for the cake question: I am probably one of only a handful of bakers on CC who is not in love with WASC recipes icon_redface.gif . I use the enhanced DH mix as a base, and actually offer about 30 variations, so I don't feel that my customers are missing out because I don't use WASC!

Ruth is right, tho, bake a couple of trial cakes to see.

Best of luck icon_smile.gif .

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 5

you don't really need a "sturdier" cake just because you're stacking it. Wahtever you've been using will work fine. I've been a "straight out of the box" mix baker for 30 years. Cakes stack fine. If you're using SPS, which gets rave reviews as a support system, you'll be ok.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 5

I like the WASC recipe. It doesn't have to be almond. Actually, kids seem to prefer vanilla over almond. Sometimes I use creme bouquet in it for a slight citrus taste too.

If you're really worried about transporting it, you can stack it on site, or stack part of it and then finish assembling when you get there. SPS or not, that is going to be a big heavy cake and you may have trouble carrying it assembled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%