Who Uses Go Daddy?

Business By Motta Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 2:06pm by -Tubbs

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:48am
post #1 of 7

I'd like to know what you think of their services?

Did you also register a blog site with them separately to your domain name? Do you feel that was a good move?

any other input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance..... icon_smile.gif

6 replies
EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:33am
post #2 of 7

I had a website hosted by GoDaddy at one point. I had (1) software from a relatively inexpensive company. (2) purchased domain name & hosting via GoDaddy. (no blog)

I had used the software previously. It isn't super professional looking, but for the type of look I was going for, it was fine. However, this software recommended using a different hosting company. I opted for GoDaddy because of the positive things I heard & the price. In addition to GoDaddy hosting, you need to also download and deal with some kind of ftp site. This place, I guess, actually houses the content of your site.

Needless to say I got very confused. I downloaded the ftp software & uploaded my content when everything was in place. For some reason, it didn't work. I couldn't see the site online the way I had built it in the software. So, I called GoDaddy. The tech I talked to said they cannot help me if I built my website incorrectly. It WASN'T a design issue. I knew this because I had worked with the software before and uploaded with no problem at all. The tech had me change a few things & my home page ended up being my contact page and everything was all messed up. The tech said "see???? it's better!!!". I was soooo irritated. It WASN'T better. My pages were all "crossed". So, I undid what the tech told me to do & cancelled my account with GoDaddy.

That tech lady was a complete jerk. I mean, I e-mailed 2 times to 2 different people. I called and talked to 2 other people. They all treated me like I was an idiot. The site I created was literally made up of all pictures and basically blocks of color. Very simple. No flash, no nothing. I was made to feel like I was asking for the moon. I just wanted to know why I couldn't see what I created. It was obviously a problem with the upload. I went through all the steps to install all parts properly. They confirmed I had gone through all the steps correctly. I asked that one tech lady: so, I just am left to figure this out on my own? She said: yes! I hung up....and switched over immediately.

It was amazing, when I changed over to the recommended hosting company that "went with" my software. With in minutes of paying & them switching where the content was to be sent, I saw my site online perfectly. I changed nothing on my website before I uploaded with them.

Now, I've heard a bunch of people say they like GoDaddy. I would be careful what software you use is all. I only paid probably $100 for mine. There are many places online where you can create a one page site for free. If your super new or uncomfortable with computers at all, I'd maybe find somebody on here who has a site you like & maybe pm them for some guidance on who they use for hosting and software...or if they use a separate web designer.

Sorry so long.....these are the things you don't know about until you dive in! It wasn't a fun experience. Good Luck!!!! I'm sure it'll turn out great for you....Holler if you have a question!

katystinykitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katystinykitchen Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:54am
post #3 of 7

I had considered using Go Daddy since their pricing is so great, but I hate how sexist their commercials are, so I went with network solutions and I LOVE their setup and the ease of use! Good luck!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:03am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by katystinykitchen

I had considered using Go Daddy since their pricing is so great, but I hate how sexist their commercials are, so I went with network solutions and I LOVE their setup and the ease of use! Good luck!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif - I know where you are coming from!

I do use GoDaddy only because my husband is retired and does websites on the side (or as a hobby icon_rolleyes.gif ) so he maintains our website - so for me its a no-brainer.

He doesn't use their templates as its all coded professionally. He did set-up one site using their templates as the client only wanted his services to set-up and they wanted to maintain. He was quite dissappointed in the quality and ease of use and didn't think the client would want to maintain.

We don't use their blog - we use a free service (but, of course, I haven't been maintaining it...).

I do love GoDaddy's Express Email marketing product. I think we pay $49.95 per year for up to 25,000 emails and its super easy to use and no worries about breaking SPAM laws.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:46am
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much everyone! p.s. I loved the long post, EvMarie - the more info, the better for me.

I also am attracted by GoDaddys' prices but.....anyways, I'll check out network solutions as well.

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:04am
post #6 of 7

I have my domain names with godaddy, but I host with wix. I used to use homestead for many years. Then I found Wix.com and made the switch. Its flash and super easy to use. They have have the free version which only shows a small tab on the side; they also have paid plans the most expensive one is the e-commerce plan which is 17-20 bucks a month (cheaper if done yearly). I host 2 free sites and one ecommerce sites with them.
I have no complains about the free sites the only reason I got the paid plan is for the shopping cart feature.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 7

I use Godaddy. I built my site myself on SE Serif (free software!) and uploaded it fairly painlessly. I actually was impressed with their customer service - they called me twice - real people (!) - to check that I was doing ok getting going, and were very patient with me when I had a few hiccups and needed help. I had been hosting with another company and their customer service was appalling, so this was quite refreshing. So far I'm happy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%