Is This A Recipe For A Good Buttercream

Baking By kermitncupcake Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 6:12am by Momkiksbutt

kermitncupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kermitncupcake Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there,
I have a recipe here for buttercream that I have used before.
250gms butter
500gsm Icing sugar
1tbs boiling water
1tbs vanilla essence
100gms melted chocolate.

Is that a good recipe for spreading and piping? Or would you reccomend a different one? And if I use white choc, will it be ok to colour with liquid food dye?
Thanks in advance.
KNC

3 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:40am
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure. But I do know that Indydebi's buttercream, found in the "most saved" receipes on this site IS a very good buttercream. You can add melted chocolate to it as well.

kermitncupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kermitncupcake Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:47am
post #3 of 4

I have looked at that one.
Im in Australia though and cant get about 1/2 of the ingredients nor the noted substitutes, so I cant use it...

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:12am
post #4 of 4

If you color your icing, be sure and never use a liquid coloring. They will thin your icing out. Use only gel or powdered colors. Also, If you want a really rich chocolate buttercream, and an outstanding, never fail buttercream in general, I would use Sharon's(Sugarshack)recipe. I've been using it for years now, and I won't use anything else! I've modified it, or "tweeked" it in a couple of areas, for different flavors, but essentially it's the same.

Her recipe is listed on the forms, and I will tell you that instead of the powdered creamer mixed with water, I just use the liquid creamers, and you can get them in a multitude of flavors now! Yay! My favorite thing to do is use the french vanilla creamer, and then subtract about 1/2 cup powdered sugar and add back that much special dark cocoa. YUMMMMM!!!

Try it, I think you will love it! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%