Trouble With Ripping Fondant

Decorating By Cakey Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 12:27pm by dalis4joe

Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 10

I made some MMF last night and colored it red. I had to add extra crisco and powdered sugar so it wouldn't stick to my hands while I was kneading the color in and now today when I roll it out and try to pick it up, it tears apart. Is there anything I can do to save it and make it stronger?

9 replies
Cakey Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 10

Also...I just nuked it for 20 seconds to get it more soft and pliable, and when I roll it out and pick it up, the "smooth" side isn't very smooth.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 10

I've found that red coloring makes it a bit more brittle. And also try not to nuke it for more than 10 sek - it becomes too soft and tears easily
It might be too dry or ther might be to much shortenng added. If it's very soft add more PS, and if it feels dry add a bit more crisco.

Cakey Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 10

okay, thank you. Love your ladybug cake, by the way! That's what I'm attempting to do with the red fondant. I haven't had much practice and this red fondant trouble is making me crazy. I don't want to have to switch to buttercream because it took me SOOOOOOOOOO long to get the fondant dark enough red.

Cakey Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 10

HELP!!!!! I added more crisco because it seemed like it was breaking off into pieces easily so I thought it might be too dry, even though it's soft. Then it was sticking to everything so I added more powdered sugar, maybe 1/4 cup. I just tried to roll it out on my counter thoroughly greased with crisco and it is STILL sticking to EVERYTHING!!! I don't know if that means I need more PS or if I should just give up. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO aggravated!!!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif This cake is due tomorrow morning and I don't want to have to start all over with buttercream and trying to get a good red because I'm failing at the fondant here. The closest cake store that might have red fondant is more than an hour away so that's not an option. Michaels is all I have here.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 10

Add glycerine.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 10

I've had this happen a few times before. I just kept adding what I thought it needed (even adding in new fondant altogether) until it behaved itself. I think sometimes the amount of coloring we have to add turns out to be too much for the fondant to handle.

ecstaticjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecstaticjellybean Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:14am
post #8 of 10

i know the cake will be over and done with now, but i just wanted to say for next time that i was adding powdered sugar after adding margarine to the fondant and it kept sticking in the same way, so i rolledit out on cornstarch instead and all of a sudden it was perfect.

hope this helps x

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:40am
post #9 of 10

That was going to be my remark try cornstarch.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 10

with MMF sometimes when u color it a dark color... something happens to it... dunno what... but it's just what u said above... I just threw out a batch the other day because no matter what I did... it wouldn't work... I added glycerin... shortening... asked here... but it just wasn't going to work... i threw it out... now I add the color when I make the mmf just before I start adding the PS... I color it.. and it works perfect..

hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%