How Long Does A Loopy Fondant Bow Last?

Decorating By mommybaker602 Updated 17 Apr 2010 , 6:50pm by mamawrobin

mommybaker602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybaker602 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 5

I need one for a cake in mid-May, and I'm considering getting it done sometime soon as I have 350 cuppies due 2 days after this graduation cake! Can I make it now and just put it in a non-airtight box for a month?

Thanks!

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 5

i make my loopy bows with g/p or fondant and g/p mixed. they keep forever. i make a round disk about 3" diameter. let dry good. then make the bow loops and tails. all dry good. put disk on 6" board and build the loops and glue with royal icing. then glue different lengths tails in between spaces. the i airbrush with pearl sheen. the recepient can keep this bow. hth

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 5

Yes you can but honestly I think I'd not even keep it in an airtight box because if there is any dampness that would get in there it would do worse than leaving it sit out. Just cover it with saran wrap and let it sit out that would keep the dust off it. I agree with the above poster they last forever if they are done right. Water and dampness is the enemy. Good luck!!

mommybaker602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybaker602 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Yes you can but honestly I think I'd not even keep it in an airtight box because if there is any dampness that would get in there it would do worse than leaving it sit out. Just cover it with saran wrap and let it sit out that would keep the dust off it. I agree with the above poster they last forever if they are done right. Water and dampness is the enemy. Good luck!!

Thanks! I knew that keeping it sealed would be bad...I just want to be sure that it doesn't get dusty. Some people will try to eat it just because I say they can!

Another question, then...if I make the fondant now, color it and everything, will I be able to just put it in the fridge and use it on the cake later? I want the bow to match the fondant on the cake. I'm doing a 6" and and 8", yellow with orange polka dots on one layer, the other layer is just the reverse of the bottom layer. Anyway, I want the bow to be orange and yellow, same as the cake. Will the fondant taste stale?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 5

The fondant shouldn't taste stale and the colors should be the same unless they are exposed to light. As far as the fondant bow. I have some that I made several months ago that still look the same as when I first made them icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%