Need Ideas For A Cake For A Work Contest!

Decorating By katieavery Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 2:57am by mrsc808

katieavery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katieavery Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 9

Hello all!

At my office, the social committee has decided to have a cake contest! But I am stumped on what to make!!!

I want something that I haven't done before and that would be good for my portfolio, but nothing too expensive or time consuming... since it is only for work.

In the past I have done wine bottle, teapots.. so I'd like something like that that has wow factor. Not many people know I make cakes, and I don't think anyone else really decorates like I might.

I was thinking of a popcorn cake, like in the confetti books cake. And naming it "getting ready for Question Period".

Anyhow, anyone have any ideas?! It will win on looks, taste and name!!
Thanks!
Katie

8 replies
tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 9

Is there a theme to the contest? What kind of work do you do?

katieavery Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac670

Is there a theme to the contest? What kind of work do you do?

Hi!

No theme whatsoever. So I have free range!
I work in the federal government in the Rural community Development are.

I was thinking of kinda taking that route possibly...

another idea i love in the Confetti cakes book is the sushi.. hmm would that be neat?

Thanks for the reply!

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 9

Then do something you have been DYING to try!!!!!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 9

Fun... wish my work would do a contest like that! I agree, try something you've always wanted to do - challenge yourself! Have a blast! icon_smile.gif

hodges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hodges Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #6 of 9

I agree-- Do something you've been dying to do or try, but just haven't had a chance. I'm trying to figure out how to convince my next order to try a fantastic cake I saw here on CC. icon_biggrin.gif
-- of course, I also would take this opportunity to buy a new tool in order to test a new technique! icon_lol.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1154218

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:07am
post #7 of 9

No ideas on what to make but I can tell you that from my experience is participating in a desert contest at work - they may not know or appreciate the effort you go through to make something spectacular. My coffin cake with the wood grain fondant lost to a cheesecake that had cocoa mice prints stenciled on it.

katieavery Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:41am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the help!
Love that tiffany lamp! What a neat idea! icon_smile.gif

mrsc808: Some people! That's so sad.. I can't believe they wouldn't see all that hard work!! Luckily, I am not really looking to win, I just like the idea of having an excuse to make a cake... and word got out about my cakes, so they are kinda making me do one! icon_smile.gif hehe

I'm starting to think the sushi... looks like a lot of fun to make.. and it has wood grain technique which i love... hmmm icon_wink.gif

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #9 of 9

LOL, the worst part was that people kept touching it so see what it was because they thought it was fake. The sushi could be lots of fun. A friend make candy sushi as a party favor and it went over very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%