How Long Does It Take You To Decorate A Cake On Average?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 17 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm by Ivy383

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 17

When I tell people that it takes hours to do a cake, they cant believe me. How long does it take you to decorate a cake beginging with laying the fondont. it takes me 3-7 hours sometimes. Why dont people believe me? am i too slow?

16 replies
Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #2 of 17

Also add the time it takes to make/bake the cake, make the buttercream and for me, make the fondant. That's at least another 4 hours (or more..I'm really slow).

Faffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faffy Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:59am
post #3 of 17

I am only a begginer and yes it takes forever to finish a cake ( by the time I am done my feet are so sore!) So I would say 4 to 5 hours easy icon_eek.gif if I'm fussing with accent pieces and such.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:03am
post #4 of 17

I think 3 to 7 hours is what it takes on average. I did a couple of detailed cakes that took 20 hours to decorate.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:05am
post #5 of 17

Are you too slow???
Well, compared to what...only you can answer that, really. It certainly takes a cake artist a lot longer to create than someone who just spreads canned frosting on with a knife! icon_wink.gif

The clock is not my friend, either. It took me a whole day to make "Pedro" in my album. I am finally beginning to pick up speed when icing in bc...thank you Sharon Zambito!!

Happy cakin'!

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:06am
post #6 of 17

It took me five hours to do my daughter's cake last night and I already had everything made, I just had to assemble. I even had the little balls of fondant for my border already rolled.

I am slow but I don't care. I loved doing it! icon_biggrin.gif

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:15am
post #7 of 17

That sounds about right. It all depends on the cake, but I have learned some trickes along the way.

But if something goes wrong.... could take me 5+

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:15am
post #8 of 17

Yes!!! It does take me forever also. Same here, people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that it takes me one day to bake and make frosting and filling. It takes another day to make decorations/flowers. And it takes another day to put them all together. I honestly don't think they believe me.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:18am
post #9 of 17

Depends on the cake. How big of a cake is it? How many tiers? What is the design? I could fill, ice and decorate a 1/4 sheet cake in 5-10 minutes using a staple design or kit whereas a 5 tier cake with intricate piping could take several hours.

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:22am
post #10 of 17

Thanks guys! now I feel better and not slow... ;o)

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:34am
post #11 of 17

I'm so slow I know if I were hired by a bakery I'd get fired!!!!!! Seriously.........

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #12 of 17

Way too slow, which is one reason why I would never do this professionally. I'd have to charge $3000/cake to be worth it! icon_smile.gif
I've been working on this cake ALL day, like almost 12 hours and I'm almost done. I just have to put the chocolate characters on top and put in the top pieces. AND all of the characters were done. The fondant was made but not colored. I guess I'm SLOOOOOW too!

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #13 of 17

Depends on the cake really.

My camo cake took 4 hours once it was crumb-coated.
My wilton course 3 cake took probably 13 hours in flowers alone and then an hour just to do the string boarder because I didn't add anything to strengthen the icing.
My tiger cake only a half hour to decorate after having made the figure and box and coloring the fondant (3-4 hours).

I love doing it all though. I need to make a few figures for my next cake due May 1 for my sister. I'm anticipating it to be about a 7-10 hour cake depending on how hard the figures end up being. I may even try making my own gumpaste. It always takes me longer when I want to try something new, but the more I practice the quicker it comes.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm
post #14 of 17

Well it definitely depends on the size and design of the cake. I can do a simple design on a 6" cake in about 4-5 hrs (includes mixing, baking, waiting for the cake to actually cool, decorate and clean-up) like this one.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=481853

But there are others like these that took me 30-40 hrs because of the details and size, and of course it took many days becuase things had to dry in advance.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=959673
and on this one I had stencils to cut too which was added into the time.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1397586

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:13pm
post #15 of 17

I agree it depends on the size and design. Sometimes it takes me what seems like forever icon_lol.gif

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:42pm
post #16 of 17

Wow... guess I'm REALLY slow! Most cakes take me much longer than the 5-7 hrs. most of you say it takes you! And when I'm drop dead tired...... you can just forget it.... I'm in slow motion!

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #17 of 17

I always asked myself the same question. Some cakes have taken me longer than others. I made this cake http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1632566 for my nieces 3rd birthday and it took me like 5 hours total. I thought I was really slow, but then I started to think about the work. What took up most of my time was the making of the flowers. They were all made of fondant and I had to add the color to the fondant. I hope that time and expirience will help me be faster. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%