Best Cake Decorating Books?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 10:50pm by Rylan

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:00am
post #1 of 12

I've been wanting to purchase a few books for myself and as a giveaway for my blog/website. I was wondering if you can recommend any great books that has a lot of step by step pictures.

I'm already thinking of purchasing a few books by Alan Dunn but I'm looking for others that shows different techniques or how to make beautiful flowers. Do you have any suggestions? Is there a book you've been wanting to have (giveaway)?

Thanks!

11 replies
iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:23am
post #2 of 12

LUV Mich Turner's Couture Wedding Cakes. I keep borrowing it and renewing it at my library at school! Can't wait til i can get a copy of my own!

Rylan Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 8:13am
post #3 of 12

Iwantcookies, I checked the book online. Does this book teach you different techniques on cake decorating or is it just the presentation of the table, etc.?

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 8:14am
post #4 of 12

I have Lesley Herbert's Complete book of Sugar Flowers. Her books are great and they show step by step how to make them.

Here is a link on amazon for Herbert's book. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1853913561/?tag=cakecentral-20

By the way Rylan..YOUR CAKES ARE AMAZING!!!!!

Rylan Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:12am
post #5 of 12

Serenatea, hehehe Thanks for the kind words about my cake, hehe.

I was actually thinking of that book. Does every flower have a step by step illustration? It's really hard to shop for books, especially without even flipping it haha.

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:38am
post #6 of 12

Rylan, it does have cake decorating techiniques, has templates in the back for the patterns she uses on her cakes, has recipes such as for chocolate plastique...It's a fantastic book (well i think so anyway!!) but best to check it out in person to see if its the kind of book for you. Mich Turner also has other cake decorating books, but i personally haven't read them yet, but would luv to check them out too!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 12

Rylan,

I don't find the Mitch Turner books to be helpful with tecnique. She really glosses over a lof of the technique. For example, she'l just tell you to make figures, but often doesn't explain HOW to, then they are just magically on her cake.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 12

I was just at a book store last night and looked through "Simple Spectacular Cakes" by Peggy Porschen. Lots of great step by step pictures and instructions to cookies, mini cakes and larger cakes showing different techniques including flowers and her recipes. her work is flawless, just like Rylan's icon_biggrin.gif . Added her book to my wish list.

Peggy's website: http://www.peggyporschen.com/

Book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307464555/?tag=cakecentral-20

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 12

Rylan
Herbert's book has illustrations for each flower...it even shows how to wrap in floral tape and put sprays together. It's a great book. There is also another book that I use even more than Herberts....it's by Jill Maytham title is Sugar Flowers. Global carries it. Here is the link. http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20196&name=Sugar%20Flowers%20by%20Jill%20Maytham The step by step instructions are all in black and white and show the exact size of cutter and what the petal should look like. There are color pictures of finished flowers in the book, but mostly it's a black and white instruction book. I love, love, love this book!!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 12

I have The International School Of Sugarcraft, Book One and Book Two. Nicholas Lodge is the principal teacher. Great books with so much detailed information thumbs_up.gif

Toba Garrett has several good ones as well. Along with Collette Peters. I have quite a library going icon_lol.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:30pm
post #11 of 12

i did get the wilton book the uses of the most popular decorating tips and in different way to use tips, and it has a lot of different way to use them and more tips, i posted it under i think different way to use tips the site i bought it on, was really inexpensive i bought the book for 2.09 and 2 something shipping and the price is 9.99 plus shipping every where else, i know you're looking for a different kind of book, but this is good to have, and i'm going to get the other one suggestion by cc'er's

Rylan Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I'll be purchasing the books tonight. Will be giving one away as well for my blog. Thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%