Buttercream Recipe

Baking By twilight522 Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 7:38am by dalis4joe

twilight522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twilight522 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:52am
post #1 of 4

Hey all!

So I love the look of sugarshacks butttercream frosting but I dont have the money for high ratio shortening (nothing under 20 Bucks) ... I dont want to waste money just trying it out.. My question is, does high ratio shortening really make a difference? Could i just use regular shortening? So if it does really make a difference, does anybody have a really good buttercream recipe? I've been using wiltons standard buttercream and i find that it taste too greasy and i can't get the right consistency? Thanks in advance!

3 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:02am
post #2 of 4

I use Indydebi's receipe for buttercream. You can find it in the "most saved" receipes on cc. It's very good. It's the only crusting bc I use.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:29am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight522

My question is, does high ratio shortening really make a difference?

Hi-ratio shortening can absorb more liquid without breaking down, doesn't have that "greasy" mouth feel and makes a smoother icing - which I think addresses all your issues with your present AP shortening based frosting recipe.

However, there are some very good AP based shortening recipes. But it does seem they have "extra" ingredients to either stabilize them and/or to prevent the often mentioned "greasy" mouthfeel.

Popular CC hi-ratio and AP shortening recipe threads:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633723-.html

HTH

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:38am
post #4 of 4

some store brand shortening still have trans fat.... that's what makes a huge difference in the consistency and taste...

hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%