Hello Everyone!!! Total Newbie Here!

Decorating By thescrapmaster Updated 17 Apr 2010 , 2:03am by anasazi17

thescrapmaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thescrapmaster Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:10am
post #1 of 22

Hey everyone!! My name is Samantha and I am a total cake newbie (I can bake some things bur never decorated or used any sort of fondant or gum paste type things).

Could anyone send me in the right direction to get started learning about how to use fondant and such! I need cake 101.

Thanks in advance!

21 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 22

HI... welcome to caking and welcome to cake central... here you will find a wide range of cakesters from beginers to advance and pro... and they are all willing to help... I suggest starting with our HOW TO forum and going over everything you need to know about buttercream... a good cake starts with a great foundaton and that is a good start...

hth (hope that helps)
Good Luck!

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 22

Hello & welcome to CC! icon_smile.gif

I would suggest doing searches on youtube, there are hundreds of cake videos with very helpful tutorials (from stacking a cake, to crumb-coating, covering with fondant, etc).

For figure making, here is a compilation of tutorials that you should definitely save:

http://www.artandappetite.com/tutorials/

Good luck and have fun! Even if it takes a lot of practice, it'll all come to you with time thumbs_up.gif

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #4 of 22

Welcome to Cake Central. Caking is a wonderful hobby/profession. The best part is you can eat your mistakes. icon_smile.gif The worst thing is you can eat your mistakes. (My waistline will tell you that.) You will quickly find these are very helpful and friendly people. The best place to start is in the forums.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:36am
post #5 of 22

Just a welcome, as you've gotten some great suggestions as where to start!

BTW, where in Tennessee?

thescrapmaster Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:43am
post #6 of 22

Thanks so much everyone!! I am really excited to get started so I will go check out your suggestions. I have A LOT to learn LOL

I was just admiring some of the cakes in the gallery. Y'all are amazing!!

I live in Oak Ridge, TN (right next to Knoxville) Are you in TN?

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:50am
post #7 of 22

I'm in Jefferson City...other side of Knoxville.
icon_biggrin.gif

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:52am
post #8 of 22

Welcome Samantha! Have you looked around your area to see if there are any cake decorating classes you could take? I don't know if thats sounds appealing to you, but its not a bad place to start.

Maybe look into community classes or a Wilton class(es) at Hobby Lobby/Michaels

You can always try it without classes as there are plenty of people on here that self-taught, but to get started it might be a lot less stressful taking a class to have someone help you and answer questions you might have.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:05am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrapmaster

I live in Oak Ridge, TN (right next to Knoxville) Are you in TN?

Born in Nashville grew up/married in Memphis, now in Georgia.

Just a word of advice...see the little warning at the left of the CC page, just above the Twitter link? It should be taken VERY seriously! icon_biggrin.gif

thescrapmaster Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #10 of 22

Tee hee, I did see that warning! That is funny!

I have wanted to learn cake decorating for a LONG time and I finally decided to do it. I am going to try to skip the classes and just try to teach myself. Maybe later I will try the classes, I just have to dive in and see how it goes.

Wow small world!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:47am
post #11 of 22

Just want to say welcome to cc. You'll love it here.

mayo2222 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:59am
post #12 of 22

You might want to consider getting a couple dummy cakes to practice on. Just remember to learn from your mistakes as everyone has made them and thats the way you get better, well that and lots of practice.

Also remember to take pictures of all your cakes along the way. You will be amazed how your cakes progress, even over a short amount of time.

Happy Decorating!!

thescrapmaster Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:12am
post #13 of 22

Ok does anyone know where I can find a good buttercream recipe so I can use the paper towel technique? It has to harden to the touch I think? I don't know.

mayo2222 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:22am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrapmaster

Ok does anyone know where I can find a good buttercream recipe so I can use the paper towel technique? It has to harden to the touch I think? I don't know.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Here is Indydebi's BC recipe, you can't go wrong. Once you get your frosting smoothed out as best you can, wait about 10 mins or so and the frosting should have crusted over and then you can start using the paper towel method. You may want to consider the paint roller technique as well

thescrapmaster Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:25am
post #15 of 22

Thank you!! I got it printed out so I can play around this weekend icon_smile.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:35am
post #16 of 22

Welcome to CC! You will love it here. Everyone is so helpful. After a while, you will find yourself talking about these ladies like you live next door! LOL
Feel free to PM me with any questions.......anytime!

mayo2222 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:39am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Welcome to CC! You will love it here. Everyone is so helpful. After a while, you will find yourself talking about these ladies like you live next door! LOL

don't you mean ladies and gentlemen? icon_smile.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:23am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

Quote:

Oh sorry.......and gentlemen icon_lol.gif wink wink..flirt flirt... didn't know there was a gentleman around icon_biggrin.gif

mayo2222 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:40am
post #19 of 22
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

Quote:

Oh sorry.......and gentlemen icon_lol.gif wink wink..flirt flirt... didn't know there was a gentleman around icon_biggrin.gif

thanks for correcting that, icon_razz.gif wink wink..flirt flirt back at you icon_smile.gif

thescrapmaster Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 8:16pm
post #20 of 22

THank you all so much! I am excited to be here. I went and got some supplies today and I am going to try my hand at baking a couple of cakes to practice with tonight LOL I hope I can get the hang of this.

mayo2222 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:51am
post #21 of 22

Good luck! Let us know how it goes icon_smile.gif

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #22 of 22

Good Luck! Everyone on here is amazing...I swear I learn something new each time i log in! Feel free to PM if you ever have questions!

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%