Elephant Skin Satin Ice In Fl

Decorating By AnthonysMom Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 1:56pm by dchockeyguy

AnthonysMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnthonysMom Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:00am
post #1 of 6

I knead the WHITE SI for a couple minutes, its sticky and stretchy. Then while im rolling it (not even 3 mintues later) its cracking. I put crisco on the counter then tried PS. Then i tried gumtex (local bakery told me to add it). Still cracking and if i try to smooth it out it looks bad. The cake needs to be done for this sunday 4-19. Im pulling my hair out! I bought the 20lb for my sons bday cake in Oct and it cracked so i just BC it instead and thought maybe it was the climate in my new place since i just moved cause I used to make MMf at my other home and it worked. I bought this thinking it will save me time and everyone said such great things about it. its done this ever since i opened it. Im wondering if I should make MMF and add white white to it because it needs to be crisp white and ive noticed that MMF make its offwhite. Or is it possible to bring my cakes to a local cake shop and ask them to put the fondant on then i can take it home to decorate? HELP !!

5 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #2 of 6

gumtex will make it har sweetheart... I dunno why they told u to add that to it.... that's no good.... if anything when I have problems with fondant I add grycelrin... but gumtex make it dry faster.... don't se that...

hth

AnthonysMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnthonysMom Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:58am
post #3 of 6

they said tylose powder will make it dry faster and gumtex will make it more pilable,. I added gumtex to my MMF and it made it so soft and wrkable that the boat i made from it took more than a week to dry.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:01am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonysMom

I knead the WHITE SI for a couple minutes, its sticky and stretchy. Then while im rolling it (not even 3 mintues later) its cracking. I put crisco on the counter then tried PS. Then i tried gumtex (local bakery told me to add it). Still cracking and if i try to smooth it out it looks bad. The cake needs to be done for this sunday 4-19. Im pulling my hair out! I bought the 20lb for my sons bday cake in Oct and it cracked so i just BC it instead and thought maybe it was the climate in my new place since i just moved cause I used to make MMf at my other home and it worked. I bought this thinking it will save me time and everyone said such great things about it. its done this ever since i opened it. Im wondering if I should make MMF and add white white to it because it needs to be crisp white and ive noticed that MMF make its offwhite. Or is it possible to bring my cakes to a local cake shop and ask them to put the fondant on then i can take it home to decorate? HELP !!

Try mixing some modeling chocolate into your fondant. I HATE Satin Ice for the reasons you've mentioned, but when you mix modeling chocolate into it something happens and it is more pliable and no cracking, elephant skin, etc. Not only does it help the texture, but it tastes like yummy chocolate! I've even mixed modeling chocolate with Wilton fondant (the WORST tasting thing ever) and it was delicious - go figure!

You can google "modeling chocolate recipe" and just have your pick.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 6

Usually if you lightly coat hands when kneading your fondant, that will help with the drying. Do that several times, not alot of shortening though. Also you could add a little bit of glycerine to it, that might help. If you are using a vinyl mat, roll your fondant out to the size you need, and then when you are ready to put it on the cake, just pick the vinyl mat up and flip it over on the cake so the underneath side is now the top, and it is nice and fresh, because the air has not gotten to it. You do need to be rolling your fondant out fairly quick, like under 10 minutes, and if I have to stop to do anything, I cover in Saran, never let the air get to it too much!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 6

Do you have any Choco Pan? Mixing some of that into Satin Ice really helps too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%