Omg! I Baked The Wronge Flavor!

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 12:22pm by Win

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #1 of 16

I am smack in the middle of a two tier topsy, and just realized I BAKED WHITE WHEN SHE WANTED CHOCOLATE!

You know how you think you have a detail down in your head so you don't even question it??? For some reason, for two weeks, I've been thinking of this as a white cake...b'day girl wants white...oh, gotta make sure I have ingredients for white...blah blah blah.

Apparently, I've been in the twilight zone, because I just went back and re-checked an e-mail I got from her and SHE SAID CHOCOLATE.

There is no way I can bake chocolate cakes, ganache them, and have them ready in time. I'm doing ganache under fondant. I'm going to call her and just tell her what's going on. This has NEVER happened before! I'm not sure how to handle this.

I know I've seen threads on here in the past, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for...maybe I'm not using the right words to search. I know I'm not going to charge her full price...just now sure what to do? Give it to her? It's her daughters Sweet 16 b'day cake...yeah, a pretty big deal!

CRUD! How on earth did I goof so bad???

15 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:50am
post #2 of 16

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Could you do choc and ganache if you fridge to setup instead of wait over night or do choc with buttercream under the fondant or maybe 1 tier in choc? Just trying to think of ways to keep the customer happy. Good luck.

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:56am
post #3 of 16

I did the same thing on a cake last weekend. Baked lemon and they wanted white, I chose not to mention it unless they commented- when I heard back on how much they loved the cake, no mention of the wrong flavor- whew!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:09am
post #4 of 16

Can you bake a last minute chocolate cake, maybe a 9" or 10" round layer cake, and ice it really nice and pour it in ganache, borders, some chocolate roses, and some gold sprinkles on it...and then do this:

When she picks up the cake she will love and adore the decorated topsy turvy. After her approval, tell her you did make one mistake....you accidentally made white, and tell her you never do that and you are SO sorry...then tell her to atone for it you made a deluxe chocolate cake so that her daughter and others can have some chocolate slices still.....and then also give her a coupon for 10% or 15% off her next cake as well or something.

I'm thinking that will make her happy...and you don't lose out too much.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Can you bake a last minute chocolate cake, maybe a 9" or 10" round layer cake, and ice it really nice and pour it in ganache, borders, some chocolate roses, and some gold sprinkles on it...and then do this:

When she picks up the cake she will love and adore the decorated topsy turvy. After her approval, tell her you did make one mistake....you accidentally made white, and tell her you never do that and you are SO sorry...then tell her to atone for it you made a deluxe chocolate cake so that her daughter and others can have some chocolate slices still.....and then also give her a coupon for 10% or 15% off her next cake as well or something.

I'm thinking that will make her happy...and you don't lose out too much.

Bingo, that is exactly what I'd do as well. Great advice! thumbs_up.gif

Sassy74 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:21am
post #6 of 16

Luvecakes, I'm afraid my conscience won't let me say nothing lol! Bakers guilt, I guess. Kitagirl, I love your idea. I have everything here, so no more trips to the store, and I can whip up a small choc layer cake tomorrow. Thanks so much...you ladies (and guys, if you're out there) are a LIFESAVER! I've been almost frantic since I realized my mistake. I've sent my customer an e-mail and a Facebook msg asking her to call me asap. I just have her work #, and I know she's at home now.

Thanks again! Finally, I feel a little peace about this whole situation, lol !

Kitagrl Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:25am
post #7 of 16

Good luck, let us know how it goes! I'm sure your customer will be just fine with the arrangement.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:41am
post #8 of 16

and.... you could always say...

that the ganache with the white makes a good chocolate combo that is cloyingly sweet or too chocolaty (can there be such a thing?) that will is better able to hold it's shape under the fondant. Chocolate cake can sometimes be to weak to support itself under fondant, especially with lots of carving. So, I'm trying to give you the best of both worlds -- a really great topsy-turvy cake with a great chocolate coating and a separate all chocolate decadence!

Sassy74 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:58am
post #9 of 16

So I called her and told her about my mistake. She was very gracious, but I could tell she was disappointed. When I told her I would bake another smaller chocolate cake for her daughter, she was surprised!

So I finished both cakes, they turned out great, and when they came to get them they were THRILLED! I was soooo worried, but it really turned out not to be an issue...everyone got what they wanted lol!

Thanks so much y'all...your suggestions got my mind off of my goof-up and helped me to fix it!

Kitagrl Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:01am
post #10 of 16

Awesome!!!

Sassy74 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:05am
post #11 of 16

Forgot to add pix!
LL
LL
LL

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:20am
post #12 of 16

super cute!!! Glad it worked out for you.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #13 of 16

Looks great. Sounds like you pulled it off!! Way to go!

Kitagrl Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:24am
post #14 of 16

So pretty! Love how you made the little one match the bigger one. I bet they were overjoyed!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #15 of 16

great save and I also think you handled it in a very professional manner...

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:22pm
post #16 of 16

Sassy, those are just amazing! What an incredible "extra mile" you went for your customer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%