Flavoring Wilton Fondant

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 6:55am by ceshell

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 12

Has anyone done it? Did it improve the taste? What did you use?

Thanks for your input...

11 replies
Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 12

*LOL*... still tastes bad.... buy something else....icon_smile.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 12

I too would love to know; Im making a cake for my sis (last minute) And she does not want to cough up 25 bucks for pettinice.
I cannot make it MMF (becasue Im using my friends house to do it and shes got nosy little kids that are going to be all up in my BIZ I can't work like that.);

so WILTON FONDANT is the winner. Hope it works out

Skidoochic Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 12

I have a bunch of it left over from a Wilton class I took that I want to use up, so I was hoping I could somehow improve the flavor. icon_sad.gif

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 12

could you add some tylose to it and use it for fondant flowers and bows and such?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 12

earlene moore says to use the lorann oils. like lemon , maybe others. i,m not that familiar with all the flavors. i haven,t tried it. but i trust her opinion. i have added chocolate clay to mine and it taste really good. some call it modeing chocolate. if you are familiar with this. if not, recipes on this site and other sites also. you would use 1/4 lb. of chocoalte clay to 1 lb. of fondant. hth

Skidoochic Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 12

Hey - thanks for the ideas. I might try the chocolate clay idea mostly cuz I don't have time to order the oils.

Love this site and all you great people! Someday- I hope I can be as helpful as all of you!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 12

I used modeling chocolate to flavor mine. I mixed it 50/50 and it was awesome. Couldn't even tell it was Wilton. I've only had to use it once but I'd use it again mixed with the modeling chocolate. Using white chocolate you can color it as well.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 12

I can understand having left over and not wanting it to go to waste but I would also just use it for embellisments I would then remove from the cake before serving. That stuff is just not good to eat.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:45am
post #10 of 12

Wilton has apparantly changed their recipe recently and the taste is greatly improved. According to Sugarshack, it tastes a little like Satin Ice now, a little chewier but much better. I'm going to pick a small box up this weekend and check it out too...

Edited: There's a thread about it starting to form in this forum...

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:46am
post #11 of 12

yep, I just opened a box and it was not bad at all! Sweet, kinda chewy like all the others, but no chemical smell or taste. I will be trying it on a cake this week. They have def changed something!

But you can use Lorann oils if you like as well in any fondant, and the candy clay as mentioned is a great idea as well.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:55am
post #12 of 12

Here's the thread. Amazing! http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=677015

If you have the old stuff and it still tastes yucky, I agree, just use it for modeling. I always have it on hand for modeling figures that I don't intend to be eaten, esp. when I don't want to bother coloring my fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%