Topper Out Of Rolled Fondant? Help?!?!

Decorating By Bakersaurus Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 6:17pm by Bakersaurus

Bakersaurus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakersaurus Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 5

Hey Everyone.. Welcome to my first post icon_biggrin.gif

A friend of mine has asked me to do her Wedding cake, No Prob! It's just a very simple cake, she already has caterers who are taking care of feeding the masses she just wanted something simple for the Cutting ceremony. 2 tiers really simple and nice.

ANYWAY the only problem is she was adamant about getting the topper herself. There was one specifically she wanted and she wanted to do it all on her own. Stupidly I let her do this, and now it's just a few weeks before the wedding she's freaking out because she can't find it anywhere and the store I know that it was at a few weeks ago (when I originally offered to go pick it up for her ) is now all out... And won't be able to get any in time for her wedding.

So I've got one upset bride, and am trying to think of a way to help her. I know that rolled fondant goes hard once dried and can be used to make bows and figurines etc... Do you think it would hold up well with a double intertwined heart kind of deal? It's very slender so it wouldn't have the weight and sturdiness of a little figure so I'm not too sure. Before I tell her I can do this I want to be sure, and between moving and overtime I my day job I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

HELP!?!?!?!?!? TIA

4 replies
rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 5

If you use a modeling paste or pastilage you can pretty much make anything in any shape and aslong as you give it a base to stand on it will stand ontop of the cake safely. Have you got a picture of the topper you are looking ta recreating?

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:53am
post #3 of 5

I would use gumpaste rather than fondant...it dries so much harder and will be sturdy. As a suggestion I always make a back up or 2 when making something like a topper for a wedding cake..just in case icon_wink.gif

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:13am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasazi17

I would use gumpaste rather than fondant...it dries so much harder and will be sturdy. As a suggestion I always make a back up or 2 when making something like a topper for a wedding cake..just in case icon_wink.gif

Ditto, especially the "make a back-up piece"!

You can do this, tho, no problem.

I would make your topper, let it dry flat, and then use royal icing to "glue" it to a plaque (base) made of fondant with some Tylose added. Not really a gumpaste mixture, as I find that, for me, at least a really stiff fondant works better for a "stand" than gumpaste.

Welcome to CC, and be sure to let us know how it turns out!

Bakersaurus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakersaurus Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys! I know I can make it now icon_biggrin.gif I'm hoping to have time this weekend to make a "tester" just to see if she likes the look etc. If I do I shall take pics for sure!

As for a picture of the topper she would like, I do have a picture on my home PC but I'm at work so I'll try to remember and post it later. It's really simple so I know that I can re-create it.. I just wasn't sure how sturdy it would be. I like the "make a couple" idea... WOOT Sounds like I'm in for some fun! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%